1930's technology all good - Page 2 - VTXOA
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtox View Post
Yeah, my FB is a beast for sure. And I recently had a new exhaust, K&N high flow filter and a torque cam installed, along with a tuner and a new tune. Now the peak torque is reached at about 2.5K and plateaus until about 4.5K, instead of a gradual climb and sharp dropoff. I had a couple of incidents when it was stock which made me hurry to buy a new seat with a backrest. Now, I wouldn't ride it without one.

I still think in a longer haul you'd reel him/me in.
Some depends on what you did for a tune as well. If an HD stage 1 tune, it's still really lean and outside the power optimal A/F ratio. It can make a substantial difference. I added a PV to mine with a FM tune and it made a noticeable seat of the pants difference on my 103. I'd expect a 114 to respond even better.
pushrod likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

All true. I'm basing my seat of the pants belief though on the fact that my FB winds out much quicker than I recall my X ever doing. It might be due primarily to a tactile sensation though, as being a harley my FB feels like there's a whole lot more going on at speed than my X, which seemed much smoother. This makes me feel that the top speed of the X would be higher than that of the FB.

I do recall that HD had to purposely add in more vibration to the M8 during development because early testing and reviews by test riders that felt the motor was too smooth, for an HD. And it's the vibration that makes me feel like the X has a higher top end. But then again, I'm far from being an expert. I did have the same feeling about my Deuce too, at freeway speeds.

I did have a Stage 1 and 2 done on my bike in August. All HD Screamin' Eagle parts including the tuner, except for the air filter which is K&N.
rangers4u likes this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I'm not an aggressive rider myself, but it would be interesting to see a stock 1800 vs a stock 114 with equally size and skilled riders. There aren't really any reviews or videos of this kind of contest out there. I would lean toward the HD after what I saw today, at-least below 80mph. That RG-S also has the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on any MC. I'm still well pleased with my Honda even if there's a new king of this little hill.

Exactly like the one here:
rgs.jpg

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 11-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

I liked the sound of my bike from the factory. But I like it even better with the SE Street Cannons on it. Made it just a bit louder but noticeably deeper in tone. On my VTX I probably had half a dozen different exhaust before happening on a set of Roadhouse slip-ons that I put on it. That was the last set I ever wanted for it. The FB sounds even better than those did, to me. And with the new cam it lopes nicely once warmed up too.

Your observation of "at least below 80" is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I mentioned that the X would beat the M8 in the long haul. I'm not an aggressive rider either. I only had my X above 80 a handful of times in nine years, and my FB only a couple of times so far. But from what I recall the X really comes into its own at 70, and is very smooth from that point onwards. My FB at 80, even in sixth gear, for some reason feels like it's making a lot of noise and is not as smooth (feeling) as the X. There's still plenty of throttle left, it's not a matter of straining at all, but I just feel like the X would keep climbing after the FB tops out. I can't recall what rpm the rev limiter kicks in on the X but I think it's about 5400 on the Softails. I'm thinking the X is north of that. From what I understand the HD Touring bikes are set up differently and run smoother at higher speeds.
pushrod likes this.

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
... even in sixth gear, .....
Oh yea, I forgot - This ^^^^^^ too. The HD is a 6 speed, my VTX a 5 speed, I would think that extra gear must surely leverage horse power better at the lower speeds.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
All true. I'm basing my seat of the pants belief though on the fact that my FB winds out much quicker than I recall my X ever doing. It might be due primarily to a tactile sensation though, as being a harley my FB feels like there's a whole lot more going on at speed than my X, which seemed much smoother. This makes me feel that the top speed of the X would be higher than that of the FB.

I do recall that HD had to purposely add in more vibration to the M8 during development because early testing and reviews by test riders that felt the motor was too smooth, for an HD. And it's the vibration that makes me feel like the X has a higher top end. But then again, I'm far from being an expert. I did have the same feeling about my Deuce too, at freeway speeds.

I did have a Stage 1 and 2 done on my bike in August. All HD Screamin' Eagle parts including the tuner, except for the air filter which is K&N.
My X ran hard into to rev limiter. It's like sometimes it would take you by surprise. My 103 lays down way sooner than that and to get the most out of it, it's almost like short shifting the X. I found state of tune makes a real seat of the pants difference, at least on the 103. With the header and FM Jackpot mufflers I picked up a real hit in the mid range. Added some reducers in the mufflers and the hit comes right off the line now, but the engine lays down sooner. Perfect for touring and 2 up, not so much for racing ... but hey, it's a 103 and a half ton of Milwaukee so racing maybe is not it's best feature.

Generally Stage 2 involves cams. A 114 with a good stage 2 should do very well against a VTX and should show a 109R a respectable run.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Old Goat

Was he riding without a helmet and using better blinker fluid....just asking...every little bit helps....
RBS, Harkon, rangers4u and 1 others like this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 11-06-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

full agatt

legs.jpg

2003 VTX 1800R
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Please tell me this isn't real... I'm not even comfortable riding with 1 hand for very long.

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
My X ran hard into to rev limiter. It's like sometimes it would take you by surprise. My 103 lays down way sooner than that and to get the most out of it, it's almost like short shifting the X. I found state of tune makes a real seat of the pants difference, at least on the 103. With the header and FM Jackpot mufflers I picked up a real hit in the mid range. Added some reducers in the mufflers and the hit comes right off the line now, but the engine lays down sooner. Perfect for touring and 2 up, not so much for racing ... but hey, it's a 103 and a half ton of Milwaukee so racing maybe is not it's best feature.

Generally Stage 2 involves cams. A 114 with a good stage 2 should do very well against a VTX and should show a 109R a respectable run.

As you know Hark the Stage 2 can include either a torque or a power cam. I chose the torque because I don't ride at the speed or the rpm's where the power cam begins to deliver its advantages. So you may be on to something, with a power cam it could very well give an X a run for its money. Mine peaks well before that I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page