1930's technology all good - Page 3 - VTXOA
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtox View Post
As you know Hark the Stage 2 can include either a torque or a power cam. I chose the torque because I don't ride at the speed or the rpm's where the power cam begins to deliver its advantages. So you may be on to something, with a power cam it could very well give an X a run for its money. Mine peaks well before that I think.
Yeah, even with my stock cams and stage 1, it's got much more punch down low and short shifting gets the most out of it, with the intake, exhaust and tune I have in it. Given the choice I would absolutely make the same choice as you for a torque cam as opposed to something you have to milk to get the most out of. It's all about the daily ride as opposed to something that you can race. I've been contemplating cams, but am hesitant to tear into the cam chest, and I insist on doing the work myself. I'm pretty happy the way it is now. Your FB is a bit sportier than my geezer glide.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Your FB is a bit sportier than my geezer glide.

Different animals. But I'd be happy with my FB, your Glide, or my X. Or a few others for that matter, as long as I am on a dependable bike that I can ride in my naturally sedate way then I'm smiling and enjoying myself. But by the time I sold my X I had nine years worth of "stuff" on it and didn't want to take any of it off. As a result I added probably north of 100lbs to it and it became too unwieldy for my bad knee. I do like the fact that my FB has all the power of my X, seemingly more torque and is such that I don't have any "need" or desire to add accessories to it. Even in its minimalistic state I enjoy it tremendously, both while on and off it.

I went looking to possibly trade it in on a Road King but didn't like the numbers they were willing to give me. At this point I'm glad I didn't. And also glad that I didn't actually test ride one. If I had I may have done a deal anyway, and put myself right back onto a heavier bike. I "settled" for the Stage 1 and 2 on my FB instead. The bike is now truly a beast.
Harkon, rangers4u, pushrod and 1 others like this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:25 PM

No worries, you'll pass him at the next Harley repair shop.
Check back with him when he has 150,000 on it with only routine maintenance, if it is still around. LOL

Truthfully, after 140,000 miles on my 1300 when on a long trip riding on the open interstate I have only had 3 Harleys pass me and stay ahead of me for very many miles, maybe the vibrations, I don't know. One was an Ultra with the Stage 3, 4, 5, 10 or whatever. It was an awesome motorcycle. I think he might have given a Corvette ZR1 a good run.

I like their looks and sound.
pushrod likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 140,000mi+Yamaha RSV,42,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

HD 107 vs VTX 1800
Hard to tell but looks like the HD won

2003 VTX 1800R
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:21 AM

This may be like comparing oranges to apples but it's all fruit. Two months ago I demo'd a roadmaster with the 116 at a local rally, I was very dissatisfied with the way it ran. Bad low end hesitation,dead spot. I thought it was running out of gas. I told the Indian guy about it,he rode it, when he came back I asked him what's wrong with it. He told me it's got a stage two cam in it. I asked if it could be tuned so it's more ridable, he said "You have to throttle up and feather the clutch." Really? On a new $30,000 bike, a touring bike, who would want that bike and to have to ride it like that? Stop and go traffic would be a nightmare. I'm all about high performance but that, to me, was like hopping up a luxury car so that it's not streetable. If I were to modify that kind of bike it would be to make it more comfortable. Faster is ok but not at the expense of low end. The extended reach is another story. Not for me. It made the center of gravity all wrong. That with bad hesitation made for a not so good ride.
RBS, rangers4u and pushrod like this.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Hell if your just looking to race Harleys just buy a Triumph Rocket. They are increasing from 2300 cc's to 2500 cc's engine and the price only went up another $10000
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:15 PM

Wow. Ten thousand dollars sounds like a very high price to pay for an extra 200 cubic centimeters. No thanks.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
HD 107 vs VTX 1800
Hard to tell but looks like the HD won
https://youtu.be/Df2s8uF9Qw0
The Harley won.

Note the comment by T. Pierson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg push.JPG (52.9 KB, 7 views)
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
The Harley won.

Note the comment by T. Pierson.
That's what it looked like. The new M8's aren't your daddy's Harley's, way different.
DrDolittle likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This may be like comparing oranges to apples but it's all fruit. Two months ago I demo'd a roadmaster with the 116 at a local rally, I was very dissatisfied with the way it ran. Bad low end hesitation,dead spot. I thought it was running out of gas. I told the Indian guy about it,he rode it, when he came back I asked him what's wrong with it. He told me it's got a stage two cam in it. I asked if it could be tuned so it's more ridable, he said "You have to throttle up and feather the clutch." Really? On a new $30,000 bike, a touring bike, who would want that bike and to have to ride it like that? Stop and go traffic would be a nightmare. I'm all about high performance but that, to me, was like hopping up a luxury car so that it's not streetable. If I were to modify that kind of bike it would be to make it more comfortable. Faster is ok but not at the expense of low end. The extended reach is another story. Not for me. It made the center of gravity all wrong. That with bad hesitation made for a not so good ride.

The Stage 2 for HD uses either a torque cam or a horsepower cam. Owner's choice. Other than what I've seen on dyno results I have no experience with the horsepower cam. I do know that the benefits of that start coming on the high end while the benefits of the torque cam start on the lower, and then plateau up to about 4500 revs. But also on the torque cam it was touted to make it unnecessary to downshift to pass, even on the freeway. I can attest to that, it's true. And there is no hesitation anywhere on my bike with this torque cam. From 2K upwards you twist the wick and the bike responds instantly. It did before too but not as dramatically as it does now. It immediately pulls very hard from low rpms up to and beyond where I'm comfortable riding, to approximately 4500.

If I had to guess I'd say the Indian was not tuned properly, needs a different map.
Harkon likes this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page