1930's technology all good - VTXOA
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

1930's technology all good

A young kid here with a new HD RG Special 114 in vivid black has been trying his best to get me to race him every time I see him. This afternoon I took the bait and made a couple of my best effort runs at it. The first time I had him off the line but by the end of 2nd gear he was bike-link ahead, then we had to stop. Second time, again I had him off the line again for a short distance and he caught me as I went into 2nd gear, and by 3rd gear, it was clear I would not catch up no matter how far we went, and my VTX is no slouch. The megaphone exhausters on that HD have very strong and dominating sound effect as well, and I had no problem hearing it from my backseat position. Kudo's to pushrod technology

2003 VTX 1800R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
A young kid here with a new HD RG Special 114 in vivid black has been trying his best to get me to race him every time I see him. This afternoon I took the bait and made a couple of my best effort runs at it. The first time I had him off the line but by the end of 2nd gear he was bike-link ahead, then we had to stop. Second time, again I had him off the line again for a short distance and he caught me as I went into 2nd gear, and by 3rd gear, it was clear I would not catch up no matter how far we went, and my VTX is no slouch. The megaphone exhausters on that HD have very strong and dominating sound effect as well, and I had no problem hearing it from my backseat position. Kudo's to pushrod technology
That says a LOT beating a well tuned VTX 1800, wow.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
I am very surprised, and I have ridden ,and owned many Harley's Most of then up graded and tuned.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM

Garage
the 107 and 114 top ends are 21th century

and I am NOT a Harley guy

more fuel/air IN, more exhaust out = greater horsepower.
Harkon, pushrod and StarrRider like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
I am very surprised, and I have ridden ,and owned many Harley's Most of then up graded and tuned.
All of the 96, 103 and 110 HD's around here have played second fiddle to my VTX at one time or another, but I've never toyed with one of the Milwaukee Eights before. I am impressed with this one, a 114, and I think all of the RG Specials are 114. It's possible that this bike has had some extras done to it, but I know it looks stock. The only noticeable difference is the riders, he is probably 120 LB wet, while I am a tad over 300 #, I don't know how much difference that makes. Wish there was something I could blame it on but I think my X just met it's match.
frnkcat likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Having owned both a VTX 1800 and an M8 I would have believed, and have stated the opposite. That he would beat you off the line but you would reel him in and pass him in the long run.

How far did you two go before having to slow down?

Off the line is kind of subjective given that different riders may very well have much different capabilities of getting a good launch. I'd be almost willing to bet that you could do a quicker launch on an M8 than you can on your X.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
Harley loves the 107/114....

video with cut-away views.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
the 107 and 114 top ends are 21th century

and I am NOT a Harley guy

more fuel/air IN, more exhaust out = greater horsepower.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtox View Post
Having owned both a VTX 1800 and an M8 I would have believed, and have stated the opposite. That he would beat you off the line but you would reel him in and pass him in the long run.

How far did you two go before having to slow down?

Off the line is kind of subjective given that different riders may very well have much different capabilities of getting a good launch. I'd be almost willing to bet that you could do a quicker launch on an M8 than you can on your X.
The first run was about 1/8 mile start to stop, second one about 1/3 mile. I did hit the rev limiter just momentarily in both 1st and 2nd on the longer stretch, dang it. I have a friend that has a 110 and this one seems to have WAY more power than the 110 does, I mean WAAAAAY more, not even close.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 11-05-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, my FB is a beast for sure. And I recently had a new exhaust, K&N high flow filter and a torque cam installed, along with a tuner and a new tune. Now the peak torque is reached at about 2.5K and plateaus until about 4.5K, instead of a gradual climb and sharp dropoff. I had a couple of incidents when it was stock which made me hurry to buy a new seat with a backrest. Now, I wouldn't ride it without one.

I still think in a longer haul you'd reel him/me in.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page