oil changes - Page 2 - VTXOA
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Not to change your ways, but Honda GN4 retails for $13 a qt. for natural oil. As I said earlier, Honda doesn't make oil, they put out a public bid and the supplier that bids the lowest wins. Then Honda jacks the price up to customers. Full Synthetic AMSOIL MCT 10-30 retails for $13.10 a qt and you can double your change interval to 16,000 miles. Less waste oil, less cash loss for you
Big Al and DrDolittle like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 AM

11,000 miles between changes is way too long.
i change every 3-4 thousand miles.
manual says 8,000 miles
its probably the best thing you can do for your bike for longevity and minimal engine wear.
heck at 3-4 thousand miles you can get dino rotella and a super-tech filter at walmart.
less than 20 bucks for an oil change and a happy bike!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech...lter/506906164

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-Oil/181236405
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter69392 View Post
11,000 miles between changes is way too long.
i change every 3-4 thousand miles.
manual says 8,000 miles
its probably the best thing you can do for your bike for longevity and minimal engine wear.
heck at 3-4 thousand miles you can get dino rotella and a super-tech filter at walmart.
less than 20 bucks for an oil change and a happy bike!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech...lter/506906164

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-Oil/181236405
The only reason to use synthetic is to extend the oil change.If you are using synthetic and changing at 3000 miles you are wasting your money. In all reality the only reason that a full synthetic needs changed at 8000 miles with a water cooled bike like the VTX is the oil filter is ****ty and it doesn't pull out soot and other contaminates like it should. We actually tested a system where you had a centrifuge type filter and added additives instead of oil changes and got the same engine and component life as trucks that the oil was changed. Reason we dropped it is it ended up being more expensive. "Every one is trying to sell a better cow magnet" Mobile one synthetic motorcycle oil at Walmart best deal ever

2006 VTX1800 Supercharged
2014 Valkyrie ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTl...2&index=1&t=0s

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:29 AM

The Arizona Valley is a dusty environment so i change my synth oil every 4000-5000, usually 4500 mi. Honda filter.
Rotella T6 is all its had from me so far.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
Surely you don't use 10 W 30 in your bike??
Oil brands and weights has been a discussion here on VTXOA from the beginning of this site. So many different opinions on brands and weights. Even if you use the cheapest engine oil close to the weight of 10W 40, I've never heard a one case of someone destroying an engine with a engine oil a little off from 10W 40, just as long as the oil level was correct and the oil and filter is changed at the correct intervals and mileage. Now which oil is the best for the longest engine life, it will be an endless discussion.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 AM

Garage
I have been using Synthetic oil since 1974....

AMZOIL
AMSOIL
Mobil One.

the debate was raging back then.. and still is..

in 1983 I purchase a New Goldwing...... in 149,000 miles it had 6 oil changes...
AMZOIL every 25,000 miles ... I totaled that bike at 149,000 miles.

bike was sold and repaired.. and continued riding down the road.

oil filter was replaced every 12,500 miles ( FRAM oil Filter )

never used oil, engine was never opened up.. NO internal parts needed replacement.

1972_OriginalCan
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 11-09-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Old Goat

Geeze another oil thread...who would of thunk it....for me its never about the money ..its about “peace O mind”...I use top shelf products...eg....engine ice,Bosch 3323 and Mobil 1.....post on dudes...
rangers4u likes this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Education, over HYPE...

but 'YES'... at the end of the day.. you must be able to sleep at night.
for those that can.

I will repeat myself.
the 3,000 mile oil changes were for car Engines that did NOT have oil filters...

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 11-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Garage
Just some food for thought...

I know the OP question centered around cost, which is a valid point to be sure. However, when to change your oil and with what oil/filter are questions that follow right behind the one of cost. The 4 friends I ride with up here, all have different bikes and we all use (and swear by) different products. We have discussed this "ad nauseam" and are no closer to a consensus at all.

One point we do agree on is you should change your oil at the manufacturer's recommended mileage. Synthetic oil will give you longer mileage in-between changes but originally, the cost is a bit more. Synthetic oil and the proper weight of that oil (something like "Amsoil", "Mobil 1"), is a must if you live up in the frozen north or down where the heat becomes a real issue. This gets into engine "care" as well as "cost". We also agree that if you are going to use "Dino oil" (non-synthetic) and are concerned about engine ware, you could use something like "Archoil" or "Lucas oil" additives. Which gives you better protection but bumps up the cost at each oil change. Most Harley owners (older bikes as well as brand new) are using a Synthetic oil to quiet down some of the engine noise as well as longer life out of air-cooled Vtwins - https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...il-change-kits. To my one friend, (who has money) cost is not an issue, engine protection is tops on his list. To another friend of mine, every dollar counts and he puts the cheapest oil/filter he can find on this bike.

Hold on my head is starting to hurt from all of this!

Whatever you choose to protect your bike you should be religious about changing that oil/filter, plugs, air/carb filters, to give your engine the best care so it will give you years of service.

My father used to tell by brothers and I about caring for machinal things (car, lawn mowers, whatever) "If you take care of it... it will take care of you." I have always tried to live by that advice and it has been great advice.

Like is said, just some food for thought.
DrDolittle likes this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Mostly go with Mobil 1, stock up when they offer rebates and end up paying approx 7 bucks a quart. Paired with a WIX or Bosch filter, about 33 bucks.
The 1800 Valkyrie gets the same.

Amsoil is just a blender, they purchase base from Mobil and elsewhere. Boutique oil at inflated prices.
TennX likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page