Corner marshals - Page 2 - VTXOA
 26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

OK, this is how we ride on Wednesdays with about regular 20-25riders. Ride leader, generally a fast rider with good knowledge of secondary roads as we avoid freeways and highways, or he has a set ride mapped out on his smartphone to follow. When we approach a T junction or a turn he points to a spot on the side of the road about 100 yards before the turn for the second rider to pull over and sit with his indicator on until the last rider comes up behind him and then this rider takes off and joins in again. This person is the corner marshall and does not leave his spot until the tail end Charlie (tail gunner) comes up behind him wearing a bright orange vest for visibility and flashes his high beam to alert the person to leave the corner and get moving. Some days with lots of direction changes everyone ends up doing corner marshall duties and the ride flows along as it should. We ride about 10-15 yards apart in single file. On large (30-40) weekend rides there are 2 tail end charlies and if someone breaks down on has a spill one tail end Charlie stops to assist and the other one keeps the ride moving. Most rides are at legal speed but if you want to overtake other riders and have a bit of fun as long as you don't endanger your mates all is well. No one overtakes the ride leader. However, coming up is the annual toy run where you bring along a toy for underprivileged kids. That has about 200-300 riders who have no idea how to ride in a group and you couldn't pay me enough to go on that one.
RBS and Capt. Rory like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerothermic View Post
I'm kinda chuckling over the names. Road Captain/Ride Captain, Tailgunner and now Corner Marshall.

I'm low maintenance when it comes to riding and I see everything I want to see all by myself or sometimes with one to three riding buds. Never any more than a herd of four. We never feel the need to entertain ourselves because we mostly say what we think in that is what we believe or we don't say anything and it's all good. Large groups of riders are tiresome in that after a while you get tired of entertaining them. U-turns will resolve that I've found. I still support some of the causes that are important to me like others that posted above. Either online or show up give them cash, get a tee shirt, look over the bikes and scoot on out of there.

Sorry, I can't shed light on the Corner Marshall (???) and their function as posted by the OP. I ride to rid myself of governance. Not to add to it.
You're right, it is kinda funny. Generally, one of the more experienced riders will step up and volunteer to lead. If it's a less experienced rider volunteers, the group will generally suggest hanging in the middle for a bit. Another experienced rider will choose the rear. The conversation generally follows; "Okay, I'll lead if everyone's good with it ... okay, I got the rear then. John, you wanna hang with the leader then?" It's funny, but every group finds a hierarchy, undeclared leaders and undeclared followers. Those that join for a ride that don't like the current order are welcome to find another group. When I join a group for a ride, they don't know me and I may only know one or two individuals, I just let them set the order and pace. It's called getting along.

Sorry, I wandered there. We never use those terms, although some groups do. "Lead", "Rear", and set a loose order for the middle, and let's ride! We do make a point of talking about things at stops though, like if there are any safety concerns, pace issues, or whatever.
DrDolittle likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

The sheer joy of group rides is the old man talk when we stop at a bakery for morning coffee and again at lunch. It makes my heart smile to be in on a discussion with half a dozen mates around the table at morning stop then with another half dozen at lunch or afternoon stop. All with slightly varying opinions on things. Then there is the joy of pulling off helmets together at a stop and all grinning like little kids because we have just sprinted through a twisty section together. While riding you are alone in your helmet thinking your own thoughts, but stopping for coffee or lunch is just not the same without your mates. Life is short, live for today.
Harkon and DrDolittle like this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post

As for group rides, IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Avoid like the plague.
I've been on a few poker and benefit rides. Most of these riders seem to be experienced older Harley guys. The main thing about these rides I don't care for they involve bars on the stops where some of these guys start drinking 10am in the morning time till the end of the ride. Because of this I've been staying away from these kind of group rides.
RBS and lofty like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Unread 12-03-2019, 08:50 PM

I don’t do group rides. They are recipes for disaster on many levels.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 1300R, 2007 1800T2
Viet Nam Veteran (Medical Corps and Engineering Corps)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Unread 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Worst group ride I was ever on was only about 6 bikes. Leader insisted on having #2 henchman blocking at every intersection like Captain bigchit. Then would zoom past everyone to front again, across double yellows, etc.....
Then the lunch bill split evenly (I had a cheap sandwich, others alcohol and lobsters) Friggin hate that.
I tuned out of group rides after that. Ride with just a couple of close friends now.
RBS and pushrod like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Unread 12-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Worst group ride I was ever on was only about 6 bikes. Leader insisted on having #2 henchman blocking at every intersection like Captain bigchit. Then would zoom past everyone to front again, across double yellows, etc.....
Then the lunch bill split evenly (I had a cheap sandwich, others alcohol and lobsters) Friggin hate that.
I tuned out of group rides after that. Ride with just a couple of close friends now.
That's pretty much the way I always ride, alone, maybe with my son or a friend. Never been much on group rides.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
Hell I don't even like riding next to or closely to anyone let alone a group of strangers. Not into the group thing.

Amen brother I hate it when someone else breaks down and I have to wait for them. Never leave them alone.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Bingo! give me a prize. Always at the end of a thread you come in with a negative as I predicted to myself. Donny, lighten up mate. You seem to always see the worst in everything. One wanker does not mean all group rides are rubbish. Good things happen in life to good people. Life is what you make of it. Cheer up buddy, and a personal Merry Christmas to you.
P.S.
I know what you mean about splitting bills which is why I never do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in