Corner marshals - VTXOA
 26Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
lofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: adelaide australia
Posts: 610
Corner marshals

Do you blokes use corner marshals on group rides when in groups of over ten riders? If not why? Have you a better system?
lofty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
chuck_VTX F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RGV. Texas, Former N.E. Ohio
Posts: 8,713
Garage
over 100 they use 2 police cars...

I went on one once over 1,000 bikes... 4 police cars..

1 of them police cars almost took out a dozen bikes trying to avoid a head-on with a common car.

some might use a tail car/truck with trailer... for break downs.

my experiences .



2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
chuck_VTX F is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Capt. Rory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 7,250
Garage
Hell I don't even like riding next to or closely to anyone let alone a group of strangers. Not into the group thing.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.



Capt. Rory is online now  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Old Goat
 
TennX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis,Tn.
Posts: 23,935
Bless u folks that do it...especially those involved in worthy causes....but like the “Capt”...not for me...


Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
TennX is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,975
Up here for group rides there is always a "Road Captain" or "Ride Captain" the leads the ride. If you have inexperienced riders, they ride in the middle of the group and towards the rear. The group is always followed by another experienced rider that pulls up, or "marshals" the rear. In larger groups experienced riders get interspersed to keep the group together. In a pre-ride discussion these riders are defined and their roles are established. Everyone else gets to ride and enjoy the scenery.


Of course, this is not universal. We often see larger groups of morons who don't know about riding in groups, putting themselves and others at risk. I think riding schools need to spend some time on such things and such schools need to be mandatory. JMHO


I will not ride in a disorganized group. I will simply fall back and ride solo then. In 2014 on our Sturgis trip we met a guy from Chicago. Nice guy, riding a, Ultra Classic. Terrible rider to follow. He didn't know how to ride twisties smoothly, and would not follow the pace set by the Captain and those in front if him. I just couldn't enjoy riding that way so I fell back to the rear where I could leave enough gap to ride a smoother style. On subsequent rides if I wasn't in front of him, I'd choose to ride last.
lofty likes this.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:44 PM
RBS
Senior Member
 
RBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Corrupticut
Posts: 25,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
Hell I don't even like riding next to or closely to anyone let alone a group of strangers. Not into the group thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
Bless u folks that do it...especially those involved in worthy causes....but like the “Capt”...not for me...

I also don't like to ride with strangers.
There are 2 runs the guys I ride with make, one benefits the Connecticut Children's Medical Center the other for a fallen Police Officer. Several individuals in our group do other runs.


What we do, is go to the start point, pay the fee, & check out the bikes. Then we take off for the endpoint, stopping for breakfast along the way.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'm Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
RBS is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
smurfy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Up here for group rides there is always a "Road Captain" or "Ride Captain" the leads the ride. If you have inexperienced riders, they ride in the middle of the group and towards the rear. The group is always followed by another experienced rider that pulls up, or "marshals" the rear. In larger groups experienced riders get interspersed to keep the group together. In a pre-ride discussion these riders are defined and their roles are established. Everyone else gets to ride and enjoy the scenery.


Of course, this is not universal. We often see larger groups of morons who don't know about riding in groups, putting themselves and others at risk. I think riding schools need to spend some time on such things and such schools need to be mandatory. JMHO


I will not ride in a disorganized group. I will simply fall back and ride solo then. In 2014 on our Sturgis trip we met a guy from Chicago. Nice guy, riding a, Ultra Classic. Terrible rider to follow. He didn't know how to ride twisties smoothly, and would not follow the pace set by the Captain and those in front if him. I just couldn't enjoy riding that way so I fell back to the rear where I could leave enough gap to ride a smoother style. On subsequent rides if I wasn't in front of him, I'd choose to ride last.


Do you ride with the CMC?

We call the last rider a Tailgunner, they are also trained as a Road Capt. We put our inexperienced riders at the front, this way the Road Captain can pace the group to their speed, or pull them along if they aren’t keeping a safe speed.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

smurfy71 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Do you ride with the CMC?

We call the last rider a Tailgunner, they are also trained as a Road Capt. We put our inexperienced riders at the front, this way the Road Captain can pace the group to their speed, or pull them along if they aren’t keeping a safe speed.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
I don't but might like to. I'll have to look into it. Mostly it's just a bunch of buddies, like minded, and now with their kids, getting together for a ride. Mostly just for the day, sometimes (rarely) for a weekend.
smurfy71 likes this.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Donnie Downer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,896
Whats a "Corner Marshall"???? Blocking at intersections?

As for group rides, IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Avoid like the plague.
RBS and Xerothermic like this.
Donnie Downer is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Xerothermic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Whats a "Corner Marshall"???? Blocking at intersections?

As for group rides, IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Avoid like the plague.
I'm kinda chuckling over the names. Road Captain/Ride Captain, Tailgunner and now Corner Marshall.

I'm low maintenance when it comes to riding and I see everything I want to see all by myself or sometimes with one to three riding buds. Never any more than a herd of four. We never feel the need to entertain ourselves because we mostly say what we think in that is what we believe or we don't say anything and it's all good. Large groups of riders are tiresome in that after a while you get tired of entertaining them. U-turns will resolve that I've found. I still support some of the causes that are important to me like others that posted above. Either online or show up give them cash, get a tee shirt, look over the bikes and scoot on out of there.

Sorry, I can't shed light on the Corner Marshall (???) and their function as posted by the OP. I ride to rid myself of governance. Not to add to it.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)
Xerothermic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome