Almost got Hit! - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Almost got Hit!

I ride as defensive as I am capable, which is quite a bit ,but today was a surprise.
We all know about the car waiting on the side street or median to cut in front of us at the last second, slowing a bit anticipating them to jump out. This was different. They were in the median, I am seeing them, slowing, then there is the point of comfort for me that the danger zone is past, and I was almost even with the car. Just then they came out in my lane a fraction, I was on the right side of the lane, and they hit the brake just before hitting my left leg. I reacted by lifting my leg to get out of the way. Hard to prepare for that one!! Be frigin careful.
frnkcat likes this.

Maurice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
median,,, anytime a car is in the median... its a danger.. moving or not..
its not legal to be there anyway.

consider..
MSF, advanced rider course.

1 day super bike school.
3 day super bike school.

you would be surprised many things for the race track is useful on the streets.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 90,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
Holy smoke! Lane position and due caution paid off in that case for sure. Glad you made it out OK. Thanks for telling about your experience. It's a good reminder for all of us.
RBS and maurice2 like this.

2006 VTX 1800S3. National Cycle 2-Up Windshield, Hondaline Driving Lights, Paladin Crash Bars, Luggage Rack, Viking Bags VTX 1800 S Shock-Cutout Slanted, Studded Large Motorcycle Saddle Bags hard-mounted.

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." - Will Durante

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Riding a motorcycle is a crapshoot. The best we can do is all we can do. I am sure that luck enters into the equation as well. Maurice, do you think the driver who nearly turned into you was turning early so he could get across the road before the vehicle following you got too close? Lately here in FL I have experienced several drivers that start their left turn just before go by. In fact it happened today and if I had my wits about me, I would have laid on the horn as I approached and went by him.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Old Goat

Glad your ok....I ride like I’m 72 years old...
maurice2 likes this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post
Riding a motorcycle is a crapshoot. The best we can do is all we can do. I am sure that luck enters into the equation as well. Maurice, do you think the driver who nearly turned into you was turning early so he could get across the road before the vehicle following you got too close? Lately here in FL I have experienced several drivers that start their left turn just before go by. In fact it happened today and if I had my wits about me, I would have laid on the horn as I approached and went by him.
It makes sense that was the reason even though no one was behind me. I stopped at the traffic light, turned back to look at the SOB, and he was just coming out, no one was behind me when almost hit. He was just in a hurry, and did not see me with me right there!

Maurice
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

I try to give my bike a wiggle in most cases like that. Just something to move my headlight around a bit to help them take notice. I don't have a strobing light on this bike like I did on the last two before it. Something I should probably remedy.

Glad you're ok!
RBS likes this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:45 AM

Tucson is a tough place to ride in that there is no police enforcement. They are still mad that we took the red light cameras away and they lost a boat-load of revenue. Consequently, they only show up for accidents but have yet to figure out that directing traffic, at accident scenes, might be a good idea.

You are on your own out here with very little protection. Only your skills. Glad you came out unscathed.
maurice2 likes this.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
One of the hazards of MC riding. Are you visible?? Aux lighting on?? Head light only, use high beam during the day. We have many 3 lane roads, the median becomes a turning lane for either direction. At intersections it become a dedicated turning lane.. Look out for danger.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 195,004 VTX miles
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:27 AM

Garage
Lightbulb

I viewed many of these when I started riding again a few years ago.

This segment of the video really caught my attention. Lane position.

https://youtu.be/FfeKk9co5VQ?t=189

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page