Honda VTX Forum banner

Self canceling turn signals

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  chuck_VTX F 
#1 ·
Hey gentlemen, Has anyone installed the Smart Turn signal System on their VTX? And if so... How do you like it? Is it worth the money?

#2 ·
Perhaps. I have no experience with it. But after a lifetime of riding Hondas with the exception of my last two bikes, I still check everytime I use my signals even though they self-cancel. Old habits die hard. So if you've been riding for decades you might find that the money you spend is unnecessary if you too check them everytime anyway. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Several VTX owners have placed Leds on the windshield facing them.
They are wired to the TS wires.
Chet's Rattlebars had several schematics about using a piezo unit to scream at you lest you forget to turn them off.
One version used the brake light to keep the piezo quiet except for the time when brakes were on.

I looked at the Smart TSS and found a place that stated it would not work on MC with Manual push to cancel.
I saw it several days ago, I have not found it since.

Installation manual shows the foam to insert to keep the switch from being latched.
Looks like Honda switch shown.
https://safer-turn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/STS_install_manual_ENv3.pdf

Some have used a Kisan signal minder ...

#4 ·
Self Canceling Turn Signals

I have installed them on my 1800S and also on my Honda Magna.
They work surprisingly well. The installation is pretty easy. I was able to just raise the gas tank, without removing it all the way to mount the little box. All the wiring is done in the headlight bucket.

You need to open the turn signal switch housing and place two small foam pads inside the switch itself. This keeps the switch from actually latching, when you slide it either left or right. The circuit is activated to begin flashing, but the switch pops back to center position without actually latching.

I was really surprised at how well it works. It always works for a real turn, and usually it works for a lane change or a traffic circle. It senses the tilting of the bike so you need to change lanes with a bit of a leaning motion so that it sees the bike come back to fully upright.

If you just slowly drift from one lane to another without leaning the bike, it doesn't sense the change.

If you signal for a turn, but don't actually turn it will shut itself off in about 20 seconds or so as long as you are moving. If you signal for a turn while stopped at a stoplight or sign, it will continue to flash until you finally make the turn, no matter how long you sit there.

It is a pretty sophisticated little gadget.

I bought it cause I had been used to this feature on a Harley that I had. I had totally gotten out of the habit of manually turning it off. As long as I just rode the Honda, I would remember to release the switch, but when I went back and forth to the Harley, I got out of the habit of turning it off.

I am very happy with mine.:thumbup:

#5 ·
Thank you all for the input. There various times I know I hit the turn signal just to make sure it is canceled. Then again there are times it has been on for a few miles. One of the STS reps sent me an email with a great offer on the system and for complete customer support through the install if needed.

#7 ·
Considering the STS set up.

I sit pretty tall in the saddle, can see the front signals as they work. Usually a reminder they are on.

Guess, just depends if I want to add another gizmo during the winter months.

#10 ·
what next..

a robot motorcycle rider to ride you around ... J/K... :)

remember the days.. cycles did NOT have turn signals.. it was your Arm !!
I know TennX remembers.. as do I.

aka Honda CB/CL 77 days :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.