seems like I'm running out of gas - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

seems like I'm running out of gas

I took my bike to new mechanic down here, and now I've created new problems. The other day sitting at a red light installed for the first time ever, and now tonight riding home it seems like I was running out of gas even though I filled up today. Switching the petcock didn't help but when I stopped and started again it seemed to almost fix itself until I drove a little bit and they happen again. Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:26 AM

Tighten the battery cables with a socket

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I was wrong! That was not the problem. So.... they also with my stage 1 jet kit they put a 200 in, and a bigger fuel regulator from a 55 to a 60. It seen like I'm running out gas, I don't have a fuel pump so maybe the petcock screen? Or could it be the jet? Anything will help?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:54 AM

This is a 1300, right?
What work was done at the shop?
If he took the carb apart, and it was running fine before that, I'd guess the problem is the carb.
If the float bowl came off, it's possible the float is hung up and not letting enough fuel into the bowl.
It could also be the air/fuel mixture screw out of adjustment. I remember these are not really easy to get to.
The petcock is vacuum operated. If the vacuum line is kinked or not fully connected, the petcock won't allow enough fuel to flow into the float bowl. I'd start there. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and use a glass jar to catch the fuel. Crank the bike over and gas should flow out the line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Victory Cross Country. She's a keeper.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumcrazy View Post
This is a 1300, right?
What work was done at the shop?
If he took the carb apart, and it was running fine before that, I'd guess the problem is the carb.
If the float bowl came off, it's possible the float is hung up and not letting enough fuel into the bowl.
It could also be the air/fuel mixture screw out of adjustment. I remember these are not really easy to get to.
The petcock is vacuum operated. If the vacuum line is kinked or not fully connected, the petcock won't allow enough fuel to flow into the float bowl. I'd start there. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and use a glass jar to catch the fuel. Crank the bike over and gas should flow out the line.
It is a 1300. I'm going to go through the vacuum lines. It's only at steady speeds after about a minute it b chugs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:32 AM

I had a similar episode. I found a small crack in the vacuum line that goes to the petcock. It was hard to find, just replace all the vacuum lines
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol-Benson View Post
I took my bike to new mechanic down here, and now I've created new problems. The other day sitting at a red light installed for the first time ever, and now tonight riding home it seems like I was running out of gas even though I filled up today. Switching the petcock didn't help but when I stopped and started again it seemed to almost fix itself until I drove a little bit and they happen again. Any ideas
Good morning Errol, have you ever checked the inline fuel filter. The filter is located were the fuel line enters the carburator. Pull the fuel line off at the carburator and you will find a little screen in the inlet port, and I mean little. It's there to catch small crap like parts of rubber fuel line and thrash. If that does't help I really do not know what may be causing the problem. Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Hey Errol, me again. what other mods have you done to your bike other then the stage 1 jetting? Pipes , air mods etc. Other members said vacuum line's. Also the petcock I belive's does not have a screen in it. I did see a thread on here about maybe the diapham could have a pin hole in it. Steve

Last edited by steveroy60; 01-22-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Tags
fuel , gas , help , petcock , question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page