2003 VTX 1800 C won't idle - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

2003 VTX 1800 C won't idle

Hi all, last week i went for a short ride. It was short because after about a mile the engine stopped. I restarted, and it would idle for about 5 seconds, then start sputtering and die again. I could keep it going by giving it a little gas. (This just happened so I didn't want to mess with the idle just yet.) It seemed to run fine once I got going but pull to a stop, and it wanted to die again. This morning I started it and it would idle for about 2 minutes then want to die. I cleaned the air filter and replaced the plugs. I have a fuel commander III usb on it. I downloaded all the software and was lucky enough to have a cable to connect to it at the office. I pulled the map over to my laptop, but don't understand it. I know that this may not be my problem but the only other option right now is to remove the fuel commander and see if that solves the problem. Or has someone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Ed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03 1800 C-V&H Big Shots-Fuel Commander III USB
& a few other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Re: 2003 VTX 1800 C won't idle

Tighten the battery cables
Do the ground fix, pay special attention to the "Common Electronics Ground" section

No, it likely is not your PC3 map that is the problem. But it could be the PC3 connections or wires.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 PM

I had a similar problem and after cleaning al the ground wires and putting a little vasoline on them, it ran just fine after that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm working on a 2003 VTX 1800 right now that came in with the exact same symptoms. Pulling the spark plugs after letting the bike idle till it died, they were soaking wet on the rear cylinder, and not much better on the front. I just found the problem - ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. The weird thing is that it'll hold vacuum with the engine not running. But with a clear hose attached to the vacuum nipple on the regulator, as soon as the fuel rail is pressurized, the hose begins filling up with fuel. This is causing a horrible flooding condition. FYI, the bike has only 2800 miles on it and is completely stock.

Stu O
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM

+1 on the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

And it is the cheapest fix of all-only $28 from HDL. Like stu_o said check for gas in the vacuum line on the top of it. Or just spend $28 and swap it. Several 02 and 03 owners lately have been having problems lately with plugs fouling, bad idling, etc and spent $200-300 at the dealer to troubleshoot it.

Good Luck!

Is it 5 o'clock yet?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Well after the checking and cleaning the grounds for the coils, I am still having a problem. But the bike doesn't die out, idles rough, then ok for a few seconds, then rough again. Tomorrow i will pull the pcIII and look for the regulator problem. I just hope I got all the grounds. only found 3 of them.

Ed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03 1800 C-V&H Big Shots-Fuel Commander III USB
& a few other goodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page