Help! speedo not working - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Help! speedo not working

Went to the gas station to put some fresh gas in from over winter and the speedo isn't working. Heres some info so you get the whole picture.

I have a speedo healer. High speed memory moves needle to show high speed. Test function leads me to believe that there is no signal from mph sensor and the speedohealer is functioning properly. (maybe)

I removed connection of speedohealer and reconnected factory connector. Ran in 1st gear on stand. No movement on needle.

I had a battery issue in the fall. Used a battery starter to charge battery to turn engine over and start it.

so
A: The pickup for the speedo is in the trans, correct? so it should register is on a stand?

B: is there some inline fuse that could have blown?

C: what else can I check?

2006 VTX 1800N: Darkside GTT 205/60/16, Memphis shades windshield, Mustang W/backrest, paladin bars, custom highway pegs, custom hitch, custom Q.R. bags, J&M CB, GPS, wallyworld lights, kury side licence plate
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Men were never meant to wear them

1994 CR250R
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

that doesn't help much.

2006 VTX 1800N: Darkside GTT 205/60/16, Memphis shades windshield, Mustang W/backrest, paladin bars, custom highway pegs, custom hitch, custom Q.R. bags, J&M CB, GPS, wallyworld lights, kury side licence plate
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Check and make sure that nothing else is "inoperative." Specifically, do all the warning lights on dash (neutral, FI, brights) work? Is your tail running light/brake light/turn signals all functioning? The reason I ask, believe it or not, is that on my 03 1800 R, the power to the speedometer runs on same line as taillight. I had a wire abraded under rear fender, shorted fuse in right hand sidecover, and took out the speedometer, neutral light, and I think it was the red engine light on startup.

If your only problem is the speedometer, I'd recommend just checking fuses and if you find one blown, try to run the short down. I have no experience/knowledge of the speedohealer though. Hope this helps.

PGR - LA State Captain - 03 1800 Retro, red, Mustang seats, ISO grips, V & H Bigshots, de-smog and Pair block by Bareass, eng. guards, CW sissy bar and luggage rack, HitchDoc trailer hitch, 9/30/07 new Quadzilla fairing, 5/13/11 Darkside GYTT and HID headlight.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltergeist View Post
Check and make sure that nothing else is "inoperative." Specifically, do all the warning lights on dash (neutral, FI, brights) work? Is your tail running light/brake light/turn signals all functioning? The reason I ask, believe it or not, is that on my 03 1800 R, the power to the speedometer runs on same line as taillight. I had a wire abraded under rear fender, shorted fuse in right hand sidecover, and took out the speedometer, neutral light, and I think it was the red engine light on startup.

If your only problem is the speedometer, I'd recommend just checking fuses and if you find one blown, try to run the short down. I have no experience/knowledge of the speedohealer though. Hope this helps.

Everything on the speedo works, just the needle doesn't move.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to danater
if: your getting 5v to the ecm, then check to see
elif: your getting signal out of the ecm.
elif: check the connection in the headlight for signal
elif: your not getting signal in the headlight but you are getting it out of the ecm, then your signal is getting lost somewere in transit.
therefore if your losing signal, check the wire, if the wire has continuity and you have anything else in the wire check it. I suspect that the wire is chaffed somewere or that the speedo healer has malfunctioned.

(sorry couldnt help the programming idiology LOL)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danater View Post
if: your getting 5v to the ecm, then check to see
elif: your getting signal out of the ecm.
elif: check the connection in the headlight for signal
elif: your not getting signal in the headlight but you are getting it out of the ecm, then your signal is getting lost somewere in transit.
therefore if your losing signal, check the wire, if the wire has continuity and you have anything else in the wire check it. I suspect that the wire is chaffed somewere or that the speedo healer has malfunctioned.

(sorry couldnt help the programming idiology LOL)
Well, like I said above, I disconnected the healer and ran it in 1st on the stand and still nothing. The test function on the healer says to spin the tire and the display will flash. It does not, which leads me to believe that there is no signal getting to the healer or speedometer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to danater
ok my service manual says
turn off the bike, disconnect the 3p connector and check that your getting 12v from the harness side.

connection is a black/brown with 12v+
and a green/black is the ground 12v-

if that exists then step 2 is

check for 0 to 5v @ the pink/green wire with the ground connected
on a voltometer. I had to check mine not too long ago I jumpered the wire @ the 3p connection through my voltometer and was able to read it while riding the bike.

now IF you are getting voltage into the ecm, check for voltage coming out of the ecm @ the pin of the ecm (careful not to fubar that beast of a computer as its expensive)

if the ecm is sending out voltage as it should (most likely) then there is either a bad wire/break/poor connection from the ecm to the, in your case, speedo healer. check that wire for continuity.

as my personal list would go, id say
1. check for continuity of the wire from the ecm to the speedo healer connection and the vss to the computer.
2. if the wire is good, check to see that you have something coming into the ecm (do the test for your vehicle speed sensor) pg 104 c5-26/27 in the honda manual (in mine that is)
3. if that is good, then the next thing is find a buddy who has a vtx 1800 and borrow his ecm for a couple of minutes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Garage
Tim, you said: "I have a speedo healer. High speed memory moves needle to show high speed. Test function leads me to believe that there is no signal from mph sensor and the speedohealer is functioning properly. (maybe)

I removed connection of speedohealer and reconnected factory connector. Ran in 1st gear on stand. No movement on needle."

1. Needle does move with pulses from speedohealer GOOD!!
2. Speedohealer does not see pulses, nor does VTX speedo. Both detect same problem!!

3. VSS appears to have an electronic device(s) in it.
+12 volts to it from fuse "B" BL/Br wire "BL" VSS wire
GROUND on G/BL wire "G" VSS wire
Pulse output on P/G wire "P" VSS wire.
0 to +5 volts pulse when the tire is moving

Check wiring back to VSS, no other tests for VSS in shop manual.
I used Bare's online schematic 02-04 1800 C
http://www.bareasschoppers.com/schem..._schematic.jpg
Probably a Hall effect sensor and associated pulse shaping circuit.

You have got to be careful with chargers, higher current chargers put out
higher voltage, higher than normal operating voltages.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Tim, you said: "I have a speedo healer. High speed memory moves needle to show high speed. Test function leads me to believe that there is no signal from mph sensor and the speedohealer is functioning properly. (maybe)

I removed connection of speedohealer and reconnected factory connector. Ran in 1st gear on stand. No movement on needle."

1. Needle does move with pulses from speedohealer GOOD!!
2. Speedohealer does not see pulses, nor does VTX speedo. Both detect same problem!!

3. VSS appears to have an electronic device(s) in it.
+12 volts to it from fuse "B" BL/Br wire "BL" VSS wire
GROUND on G/BL wire "G" VSS wire
Pulse output on P/G wire "P" VSS wire.
0 to +5 volts pulse when the tire is moving

Check wiring back to VSS, no other tests for VSS in shop manual.
I used Bare's online schematic 02-04 1800 C
http://www.bareasschoppers.com/schem..._schematic.jpg
Probably a Hall effect sensor and associated pulse shaping circuit.

You have got to be careful with chargers, higher current chargers put out
higher voltage, higher than normal operating voltages.
Ok, First off, what is the VSS? The speed sensor in the crank case?

Second, I am fairly mechanically inclined but #3 just seems like gibberish to me. I've never been good at electrical schematics.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page