I have run:

Bridgestone Battleaxe BT 020 200 series
Bridgestone Excedra
Metzeler 880
Stock Dunlop
Dunlop Elite 3
Avon Venom R

Currently the Avon Cooper Cobra

All performed well.. the Avon venom R got the best mileage, the Stock Dunlop and the Bridgestone Battleaxe got the lowest mileage

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 VTX1800R Sold
2003 VTX1800R Wrecked
2003 VTX 1800R Sold 4/15/2015 48K on the three bikes, some of the best times of my life

"The Only Time I'm Satisfied Is When Im On The Road" The Late Great Ronnie Van Zant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvnl View Post
I know this may open a can of worms, but have you considered darksiding? If you are getting three seasons from a motorcycle tire, you should get about ten to fifteen seasons from a darkside tire.
Their average life span is 5 times better at least.
This is the only argument that I've heard against going darkside on our bikes that I feel has any validity. I don't like the idea of a cheapskate (like myself) riding around on a ten year old tire just cause it has plenty of tread left . I gotta admit that the Yokohama I have in my bike has way more grip than the Dunlops that I've had before.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]'02 VTX1800C
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-indian View Post
This is the only argument that I've heard against going darkside on our bikes that I feel has any validity. I don't like the idea of a cheapskate (like myself) riding around on a ten year old tire just cause it has plenty of tread left . I gotta admit that the Yokohama I have in my bike has way more grip than the Dunlops that I've had before.

Here we go....
SeaSteve likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 VTX1800R Sold
2003 VTX1800R Wrecked
2003 VTX 1800R Sold 4/15/2015 48K on the three bikes, some of the best times of my life

"The Only Time I'm Satisfied Is When Im On The Road" The Late Great Ronnie Van Zant

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-indian View Post
Agreed- Just replaced my 5 YO Hydroedge with 35K miles. Still half good. Would have had more miles but medical issue and a rebuild cost me almost 2 full seasons. Replaced with a GY TT but must say I prefer the taller 65 series tire.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, My LED, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available [email protected] "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKEZRULE View Post
I am in need of a new rear tire and I currently have a Dunlop Elite 3, I just don't like the price tag of it, and it seems that every two to three seasons ya gotta replace it. I found a Dunlop 251, and a Bridgestone Exedra Max that looks really sharp any ideas.
I have the Bridgestone Exedra Max on front/rear and I am very pleased with looks, performance and realiabilty of them. As well as the price tag.

Stand on truth and do whats right.

It's not about religion, It's about the relationship
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.
There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”
Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T
I am glad to know there is a web site that we can go to and share information and links to other sites and stuff.

THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED DESERVE NOTHING LESS THAT FULL HONOR AND RESPECT!!!
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

what is darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvnl View Post
I know this may open a can of worms, but have you considered darksiding? If you are getting three seasons from a motorcycle tire, you should get about ten to fifteen seasons from a darkside tire.
Their average life span is 5 times better at least.
I don't want to sound like too much of a idiot but what is darkside, are you referring to a car tire. Have had people in the past mostly goldwingers who have been pushing the idea of car tires I am real leary of a car tire cause they are flat, and in my opion it would be very hard to lean it won't it.

THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED DESERVE NOTHING LESS THAT FULL HONOR AND RESPECT!!!
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Correct, car tire.

For me I have used the Metzler's and loved them, great grip and ok mileage. Now I have the Avon Cobra on the rear and it's only been a couple hundred miles but seems to have the same feel as the Metz, but with more tread in middle which is why I am trying it now.

You said you have 3 seasons on the tires, how many miles? E3's are supposed to be among the best for mileage.

USN 1996-2000 STS3/SS
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM

To the OP, read my post in this thread concerning the 200 vs the 180 on the 1800 VTX. Just some food for thought.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...205-180-to-200

Livin' Blue in a Red state.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Garage
Also to OP. Link in my sig regarding the darkside for information.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, My LED, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available [email protected] "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page