What is the best rear tire for a vtx1800 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

What is the best rear tire for a vtx1800

I am in need of a new rear tire and I currently have a Dunlop Elite 3, I just don't like the price tag of it, and it seems that every two to three seasons ya gotta replace it. I found a Dunlop 251, and a Bridgestone Exedra Max that looks really sharp any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM

I just went with the Bridgestone and it looks and rides great and also a good price tag. Good luck
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Just mounted a rear Avon Cobra 180/55/18. It rides smooth & handles great.
Piotr1 likes this.

2006 VTX1800F

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakezrule View Post
i am in need of a new rear tire and i currently have a dunlop elite 3, i just don't like the price tag of it, and it seems that every two to three seasons ya gotta replace it. I found a dunlop 251, and a bridgestone exedra max that looks really sharp any ideas.
what model do you have depends on whitch manufacture of tire if its and"f"model gowith metezlers.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM

If you are getting 3 seasons out of a tire that seems pretty good to me. I can stretch it to two seasons sometimes, but a rear tire a year is about average for me. I have the Metzler now. While it does grip well, it is dissapearing fast. If you want tread life it may not be for you. If the E-3 worked for you and you got 3 years out of it why not get it again? Don't try to save a few bucks, it's not worth it in the long run. I figure my life is riding on that one tire. I go cheap on a lot of things I buy, my motorcycle tire is NOT one of them.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Watching this thread due to looking at new tires

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Phantom_1 Send a message via MSN to Phantom_1
I agree, if you are getting 2 or 3 seasons out of a rear tire, you're doing good. Maybe check out Commander 2 tires, new tires that are suppose to wear longer and the prices are not bad. I have heard nothing else about them nor have I heard anyone else say they have tried them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]04 1800N, Double Darkside... lots of extras.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

There is no clear "#1". Pick one of the following;

Avon
Bridgestone
Metzeler
Dunlop Elite 3

All are better than OEM and all will give better traction wet or dry. Each brand will have loyal users as well. Whatever you pick, you will be happy with it

AMA Life Member 721314
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.
There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”
Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

AMA Life Member 721314
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM

I know this may open a can of worms, but have you considered darksiding? If you are getting three seasons from a motorcycle tire, you should get about ten to fifteen seasons from a darkside tire.
Their average life span is 5 times better at least.

Honda factory trained technician, since 1996.
Riding a 2005 VTX 1800 N SPEC2.
Member; Darkside, Exhaust; Sydewynders Custom
1300 final, Honda Lowers with Memphis shields windscreen, Kury Cruise Pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page