2003 VTX 1800C valve timing????? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

2003 VTX 1800C valve timing?????

Here is my problem.... My 2003 VTX 1800C has always seemed like it should do better on fuel economy. I know, get a honda spree if I dont like it. LOL. I dont really care about the economy, but distance between fill ups. I only get about 85-90 miles before light comes on. And it takes about 3 gallons to fill. So I messed with this and that, Cobra FI2000, plugs, ground fix, etc. I have just been dealing with it. But here is what changed my thinking. My buddy recently sold his bike and was going to get a bike just like mine, only an 2002. We had to travel a while to pick it up and I checked compression on my bike before we left so we could compare. Mine was 80 front 90 rear. But I did not check it wide open throttle. We picked his up and checked his wide open throttle and it was 105 front 105 rear. I realized I screwed up checking mine. So when I got home I rechecked. 110 front, 140 rear. Factory is suppose to be 95psi. I thought MAYBE carbon build up so I ran a few tanks of Techron additive. Ran those two tanks running her pretty hard. And now Im about 105 front and about 130-135 rear. A little change. Pistons look the same when I look down the plug hole as far as black. Can see some shiny piston, but they look the same. I have read a few threads on High Compression on one cylinder caused by valve timing being off like it skipped a tooth or two. Mine is on the back Cyl, so everything I read says its a real pain to get the rear timing cover off. Have to lower the motor down, etc. So I was hoping to have someone explain to me how being a tooth off or two could cause high compression.... I just dont understand it. Also if someone has other ideas, or ways to check the timing would be cool..

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Have you ever adjusted the valves yourself or had them done at all?
They are supposed to be done every 8000 miles.

Livin' Blue in a Red state.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

No, but that is also on the list of things to do. My bike has 14,000 on it. Bought it with 10,000... Could a tight valve cause higher compression?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

About my bike.

2003 1800c
Cobra "drag pipes" is what I was told they were called
Cobra 2000fi 3 pot adjusted WAY lower then factory
180/70 rear tire
K+N air filter/stock housing
87 octane fuel used, not premium (used to run premium untill reading this forum)
Already changed the Fuel Pressure Reg.
Already Did the Ground Fix
Have not adjusted the valves since I have had it, bought it with 10k, have 14k on it now.
NGK 3678 Plugs
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Keeping an eye on this thread!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Me too... I hope someone with more knowledge than me pipes in... You guys on this board know your stuff....
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM

I seriously doubt that your problem is valve timing. There have been next to no complaints of "jumped" cam sprockets on this motor. If the bike is running well, and making good power, I would just forget it, and run the heck out of it. Cam timing controls just when on the intake stroke/beginning of compression stroke the intake valve closes, it can effect compression. But, I think you are looking for something that is not there.

'02 1800C Kingdom of Kicks Dang! That's 'hot-stuff'. Damn near blew the first beer of the day out my nose.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I seriously doubt that your problem is valve timing. There have been next to no complaints of "jumped" cam sprockets on this motor. If the bike is running well, and making good power, I would just forget it, and run the heck out of it. Cam timing controls just when on the intake stroke/beginning of compression stroke the intake valve closes, it can effect compression. But, I think you are looking for something that is not there.
I hear that a lot, just ride it.... Here is my problem. I have read quite a few posts about them being off from the factory, as far as timing. And there is a problem, or one cyl wouldn't be 30psi more than the other one. You could be correct about the timing not being off, but there is defiantly a problem.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat41 View Post
I hear that a lot, just ride it.... Here is my problem. I have read quite a few posts about them being off from the factory, as far as timing. And there is a problem, or one cyl wouldn't be 30psi more than the other one. You could be correct about the timing not being off, but there is defiantly a problem.
Have you checked/adjusted the valves...

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-Decompression
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I agree it is probably not valve timing but there were problems discovered with early motors being assembled improperly at the factory. I can remember the posts but it was a long time ago. I doubt they could be found. I also agree he should just ride it ! The bike has a very small gas tank and none of the c models goes very far on a tank. I would fill it upright ..not on the kickstand and you may get some extra gas in there .

2002 VTX-c 1800
Bigshots
Proton 4
pcIII usb
MTC clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page