2002 vtx-1800r. won't idle. runs rough. fuel mileage is terrible. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

2002 vtx-1800r. won't idle. runs rough. fuel mileage is terrible.

i just acquired this 2002 vtx-1800. original owner didnt ride much the past couple years. it has cobra pipes and a cobra fi2000 tuner on it. after riding, bike wont idle. throttle response is tricky. has a surge and miss going down the road. gas mileage is terrible. gets around 28mpg. im getting roughly 100 miles per tank. smells like it is burning rich. i also found the idle adjustment screw and adjusted it till no more adjustment. i took the seat off and disconnected the tuner. it did seem to help a little. it runs like a carb that is stopped up from setting to long. is there any way to clean the efi tb. and can i clean the injectors. where can i find a downloadable manual. any help will be appreciated. thanks. p.s. im new to this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Sounds like you might want to change the fpr out. Several topics on here about that. 40 bucks. Also, the fuel pump assembly is inside the tank. The pump could be rough and the filter needing changed. The fuel pump at worst is 120 bucks, (Wal-Mart has them for 70) but the ebay kind are 20. The fuel filter is 3 bucks or less. Then do the ground fix while you have the tank off for giggles. After that, then maybe rip into the injectors if needed. Thats not that hard either, I went through all this on a scoot I picked up that had been sitting with rust in the tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Garage
most likely the "FPR" fuel pressure regulator... dealer only and like $40.00 ... search for Test of "FPR"...

early VTX also need to have the "Ground FIX" done.

also you can download the Honda Service manual.. HERE, FREE.. a sticky in this section..

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Garage
Welcome to the board..............
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:21 PM

As already suggested, change out the FPR, got mine here for $29. Also, tighten the battery terminals and do the ground fix.

And welcome to the board

2003 VTX 1800R3
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

DO NOT RIDE OR RUN THE ENGINE!!

Change the FPR as seen here;
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/p...p?f=26&t=32640

Once this is replaced, change your oil as a bad FPR allows too much fuel into the combustion chambers and that excess fuel is washing down the cylinder walls and into the engine oil. Ride around the block to circulate the fresh oil and wash out any remaining fuel, then change the oil again

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM

Garage
and there are 2 oil drain bolts.. not 1... and do not over tighten them...

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info. i will change the frp. where can i find the info on cleaning the grounds. also, the only updates is a set of cobra pipes. can i leave the cobra fi2000 tuner unhooked. will it run ok. i also read in a forum here, something about tuning the tfi. any info on that. and any info on how to download the manual. thanks again for all the advice and help.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot091 View Post
thanks for all the info. i will change the frp. where can i find the info on cleaning the grounds. also, the only updates is a set of cobra pipes. can i leave the cobra fi2000 tuner unhooked. will it run ok. i also read in a forum here, something about tuning the tfi. any info on that. and any info on how to download the manual. thanks again for all the advice and help.
The FI2000 is not necessary and you will not damage anything by omitting it. It may help the bike to run better at lower revs around town. The fueling on these bikes is a bit lean down low and the throttle can get a bit finicky. Just richening up the bottom can help smooth things out a bit. Without it you may experience some decel popping as well. To be sure though, it is absolutely not necessary, especially if your bike runs fine without it.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

You will find the Ground Fix and many more on our "How To;Step-by-Step" board linked in the below message;

Welcome to the board!
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749

Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX.

There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner

Click the “Advanced Search” button

Now, click "Search Single Content Type" and add you keyword to search
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"

That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....

The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here

Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page