Think I blew Max up ! - Page 2 - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 PM

Did your oil pressure warning light come on when this first happened? I too am thinking of a kinked vent hose that caused excessive pressure in the lower half. Normally a seal would blow however, not a gasket.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, women and beer. I usually just waste the rest.

Last edited by Sojourner; 09-27-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Did your oil pressure warning light come on when this first happened? I too am thinking of a kinked vent hose that caused excessive pressure in the lower half. Normally a seal would blow however, not a gasket.
No lights or warnings. Funny thing is I checked the vent hose last week by blowing air into the hole of the air cleaner and could easily feel air coming out the deep stick hole. I do and have had a small oil leak coming from shifter which is why I checked it. Gona pull the cover this week hopefully. Where is the seal you speak of located ?

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:37 PM

The seal for the shift rod is usually the one to start leaking.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Ever figure this out?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_C View Post
Ever figure this out?
Haven't had time yet and quite honestly to depressed and afraid to see what I find. Plan on opening it up later this week if the hurricane doesn't interfere
Charlie_C likes this.

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

This is where I am, replaced the oil seal on shifter (shot) and replaced water hose and seal on back jug and now found another leak in the small pipe that goes between the jugs, so I'm ordering all new seals for water system just to be safe. BUT, here is my question. When I was adding water to the system, (before I found 2nd leak) water started coming out of the end of my exhaust from the front jug??? How is this possible. Water only, no oil or mix thank god. But this has me scratching my head. Any thoughts ?
Thanks

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz312 View Post
This is where I am, replaced the oil seal on shifter (shot) and replaced water hose and seal on back jug and now found another leak in the small pipe that goes between the jugs, so I'm ordering all new seals for water system just to be safe. BUT, here is my question. When I was adding water to the system, (before I found 2nd leak) water started coming out of the end of my exhaust from the front jug??? How is this possible. Water only, no oil or mix thank god. But this has me scratching my head. Any thoughts ?
Thanks
The only way that could happen is if there is a crack in the water jacket at the exhaust port. If it's also in the cylinder (the water would come out milky most likely), then a bad, leaking head gasket or water jacket failure in the head or cylinder. You would see water in the oil if this were the case.

When water was coming out of the exhaust, is it possible you were seeing condensation? OR was it definitely coolant?

I don't mean to scare you but;
As far as I know, there is no seal or gasket in this engine that will allow coolant into the exhaust port and not into the cylinder. That is all water jacket. Again, this is as far as I know, hoping I'm wrong on this.
nate6966 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
The only way that could happen is if there is a crack in the water jacket at the exhaust port. If it's also in the cylinder (the water would come out milky most likely), then a bad, leaking head gasket or water jacket failure in the head or cylinder. You would see water in the oil if this were the case.

When water was coming out of the exhaust, is it possible you were seeing condensation? OR was it definitely coolant?

I don't mean to scare you but;
As far as I know, there is no seal or gasket in this engine that will allow coolant into the exhaust port and not into the cylinder. That is all water jacket. Again, this is as far as I know, hoping I'm wrong on this.

There is no water in the oil, which is whats throwing me

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz312 View Post
There is no water in the oil, which is whats throwing me
And you are sure it's coolant?

Gotta be from the exhaust port then. I've been on this forum for a while and I gotta tell you, I have never heard of such a thing with these engines. For the jacket to crack and leak, it must have run dry or something. Even then you'd expect to soften the rings and score a cylinder well before anything would crack.

Back in the day I had a Datsun and the head cracked. I ran the ever luvin' snot outta that engine, and I ended up with oil in the coolant, but not he other way around, so who knows.?

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Did a little research and think I might have a blown head gasket as well . Like I mentioned earlier the water comes out the front jug exhaust pipe almost as fast as I pour it in. Gona do a compression test next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page