Running Way Too Rich! - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Running Way Too Rich!

Damn! I just put on a new exhaust system on my '03 VTX 1800R. It's a Freedom Exhaust Combat 2 into 1 system. Had to replace some old Roadhouse slip-ons because the welds on the baffles on those kept breaking! Anyway, new exhaust might as well be a flamethrower it backfires so much! Bike is running way too rich. I have more of an open air hypercharger on it with K&N filter and PowerCommander III USB. I have leaned out the PowerCommander to it's leanest settings on the unit itself and cleaned my K&N filter (it did need it) and still no good!? I can't do any other mapping on the PowerCommander because I don't have a Windows PC. I'm tempted to just try getting rid of the PC III, but it looks like I might have to get a new, stock wiring harness if I do?? The bike only has about 9000 miles on it and other than this has always run perfect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...and Happy Holidays to all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:13 PM

I use a windows tablet for mine.
Got the tablet at frys for under 60.
wildwise likes this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwise View Post
new exhaust might as well be a flamethrower it backfires so much! Bike is running way too rich. I have more of an open air hypercharger on it with K&N filter and PowerCommander III USB. I have leaned out the PowerCommander to it's leanest settings on the unit itself and cleaned my K&N filter (it did need it) and still no good!? I can't do any other mapping on the PowerCommander because I don't have a Windows PC.
Is the backfiring only during deceleration? Why do you think the engine is running rich? Smell from exhaust? Did you change the crush gaskets when you put the new exhaust on your bike? Has the PAIR system been blocked off? Your answers will help us suggest a solution.
wildwise likes this.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, women and beer. I usually just waste the rest.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 PM

Garage
More likely an air leak at exhaust gaskets..
Replace and make sure its torqued proper with washers under acorn nut, or SS hex head nut.
Some flanges are not as thick as stock.. Acorns bottom out before tight.. (17#??)
You took off 'stock header pipe' with slip on muffler correct??

wildwise likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM

Cool

Make sure your header pipes are not leaking exhaust. You might have to put washers on the front side of acorn nuts , then re tourqe acorn nuts to 17ft lbs. do it doing from nut to nut till you get them at 17 ft lbs ea. Do not over tighten them, you could pull the studs out.Some guys use nuts in stead of the acorn nuts. Exhaust leak will cause back fire on deceleration..
wildwise likes this.

Last edited by steveroy60; 11-25-2016 at 07:50 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM

I've had the same problem before. Instead of replacing the gaskets, I just put a few washers under the acorn nuts so they wouldn't bottom out when I tightened them.
wildwise likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I might look into that. I would like to be able to do more accurate mapping once I get this all figured out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes! The backfire only happens at deceleration. I'm going to re-do connecting the headers with fresh gaskets-didn't do that originally!. I now know there's bit of a leak at the front header. The way the new pipe comes out of there it bends right over the top of the rear acorn nut and I could not get any kind of wrench on it! The best I could do was slip the 12mm socket on it and just barely grab the back end of the socket with vice grips to try and tighten in. Obviously not enough. Gotta figure out a better way to get on that one nut! As far as it running rich, I checked the plugs and just replaced them. The old ones were carbon-fouled. Also, my gas mileage has not been good. 24-28 mpg in town and when I get out on the highway, maybe up to 32. I usually don't twist the grip too hard in town. I don't honestly know what the PAIR system is. I bought the bike a little over a year ago and it was already set up this way. Thanks!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks to you all! I love my bike and I love this site! You've given this "rookie wrencher" some great info to get me back on the road! Much appreciated!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Crows foot wrench is what you need to tighten the nuts.
wildwise likes this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page