Temperature Light coming on - Page 2 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM

Fan comes on @ 215 degrees and goes off @ 206 or there abouts. In Florida in takes about 10 min of idling. Running temp of the bike on the road is about 185 degrees. My fan comes on often at large intersections in the summer. I installed temp gauge on mine.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
The sensor for the temperature light isn't the same one that controls the fan. If the OP pulls the thermostat for testing he can also remove the sensor and have that tested too since it's mounted in the same housing.
True but to my knowledge nobody's ever had a problem with that sensor. But like you say, since your in there already.

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz312 View Post
IS the bike actually getting hot ? I Agree with Papa. Pull the tank and remove the thermostat and test it. Another possibility is a ground wire
Where is the TStat and how do I pull it - just in case I need to do that ?

2003 VTX 1800R

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Where is the TStat and how do I pull it - just in case I need to do that ?
Left side under the tank, between the two cylinders by the fuel system. Held on by one bolt to the frame and 2 bolts holding housing together. It's easier for me to just pull the tank for more room but you may be able to do without. Pretty easy job. Do NOT buy a thermostat from auto supply $8, won't fit. Need to pay the piper at the stealership $38

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Raised the gas tank and topped off my coolant system today, it was one-and-one-half pints low. No sign or smell of a leak or drip.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Raised the gas tank and topped off my coolant system today, it was one-and-one-half pints low. No sign or smell of a leak or drip.
As much of a PITA it is to check, the coolant level needs to be checked periodically. I suggest the next time you take a decent ride make a note of the coolant level in the reservoir tank while the bike is still hot. Check it again the next morning and see if it's gone down. This at least tells you if the engine is sucking the coolant back in that was displaced by expansion during your ride.
pushrod likes this.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, women and beer. I usually just waste the rest.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

It's been almost 2 years since I last looked at it - when I last flushed the system. I suppose I really should check it a couple of times a year.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffly View Post
Last year on the trip out west i did have my fan coming on occasionally while riding at 70 mph.
How in the world are you hearing your fan come on at 70 mph? I'm actually curious. Fairing, windshield, stock exhaust??? All I can hear at 70 mph is the wind and exhaust.
pushrod likes this.

Old bike: 2002 VTX 1800S
New bike: 2002 VTX 1800C
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard2 View Post
How in the world are you hearing your fan come on at 70 mph? I'm actually curious. Fairing, windshield, stock exhaust??? All I can hear at 70 mph is the wind and exhaust.
I was curious about just that on my 1985 V-65 Sabre, so I wired an LED to turn on with the fan was running. At high speed the wind would spin the fan and the LED would glow. The faster I rode the brighter the light. Cool to look at.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard2 View Post
Lol, I have a temp gauge so I noticed temperature first. The watched the fan.......cycle

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page