Fuel Injection light comes on, then goes off - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Injection light comes on, then goes off

I pulled my tank Saturday and painted it, then reattached it Saturday evening (it's hot here and the paint dried quickly in my paint shed). I've removed the tank numerous times with no issue. This time I drained all the fuel out of it into a gas can, where previously I had left a small amount (one gallon or less) in the tank. I re-attached it and Sunday rode with my fiancé down to Marysville, CA for her to go to work delivering Amazon packages. On the way my FI light came on. It held steady, and didn't flash a code. I shut the bike down (still in motion) then popped the clutch to restart. The light went out, then came back on a few miles down the road. I did it again, and the same thing happened. This happened three or four times. I tried to find out when it did, and it seemed after a hard acceleration. I was down to about a gallon when we got to Marysville. After I dropped her off, I stopped and got a quart of Lucas Injection Cleaner and emptied all of it into the tank then rode home. The light didn't come on again - until this morning (7/24). It happened twice on the way to work, then not again. No flashing, just steady. Any ideas? The bike has 96,552 but the engine has only about 63000 on it. I regularly run a couple capsfull of injector cleaner or Marvel Mystery Oil every two or three tanks. When I reinstalled the tank I made sure the return line from the FPR was hooked up and the electrics were cleaned and hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Tighten battery connections.
Do ground fix.
It could be a sensor with intermittent connection.
Did you check the 2P connector?
What was the outcome of your previous thread?
See if it has any codes stored.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/reso...odes-vtx-1800/

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-24-2017 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I redid all my grounds, the battery is tight and when I reinstalled the tank, I put dielectric grease on the connector. I just ran into town from my job and back (about 15 miles) and it never came on. It runs strong, and pulls hard. Since I went to the 2003 plugs (hotter than those called for in the 2002 VTX1800c), I have noticed a lot of engine vibration when I pull hard and when I am running 70 mph and higher. I am going to pull the plugs today when I pull the tank off for my next stage of painting and check them out for fouling. The FI light came on steady and didn't flash a code (it did before when I had a wire break), and when I shut down and restarted, it went out.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:40 PM

Do the code clear per manual and see if it helps.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page