Failing to blink will drive me to drink - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Failing to blink will drive me to drink

So I hit up the guru about blinker issues and he was nice enuff to help.
I searched for awhile for my issue and I know it's here but there are so many blinker problems none matched mine as I could find ..
I did add 2 LEDs in front yet that's not the issue and I thought it was a fixture issue but it's not.
I did do some moving around in the headlight so I think I moved something and made it loose .
Looking at the schematic i thought the orange and white wire was my blinker but I think I was wrong per someone smarter than I .
The wires appear to go from bulb the headlight fixture to a 6 pin connector on one side and 5 on the other ( 5 wires in 6 wires out) so I'm headed there as soon as my LEDs head light and passing lights are in.
Tomorrow my Viking bags should be in so I will need a bit of install time for them .
A pic of the connection in the head light would make me less worried about this task. Lol
I hate being the newbie
But thank the Lord for vtxoa

The last bike I owned and rode was in the 90's But it was impossible to stay on four wheels any longer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
02' VTX 1800 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 AM

Garage
what year is your bike ???

2002 to 2004 have analog turn signals.... aka turn signal flasher.

2005 and later have digital turn signal controller..

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
2002 1800C
I would clean and lube the switch. The grease + dust makes it difficult to get a good connection on the contact.
Often during the colder months the blinking problem appears.
Low current draw of Leds plus a required voltage threshold before leds conduct and light.
I had a black spot on a brake switch, the incandescent bulb had a slight delay before lighting up and the leds then came on.
I burnished the contacts and thereafter leds came on first.

6 pin Blue connector takes the TS signals to the indicator and to the rear.
Note>> A single bulb bridges across the TS wires. If you go ALL leds you will have to modify the single indicator with diodes.
As long as the back incandescent TS bulbs remain all is well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS switch dirty1.jpg (489.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg TS slider close up.jpg (368.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg TS switch contacts corrected.jpg (434.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg TS reassembled.jpg (407.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TS back in housing.jpg (466.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1800c left HB switches.jpg (235.7 KB, 21 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 06-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Massive help I was looking at the schematic wrong. My bags and passing led bulbs came in today but was feeling under the weather so I got nothing done today, always tomorrow. I think i have the mental and visual tools I need thanks again
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all your efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
2002 1800C
I would clean and lube the switch. The grease + dust makes it difficult to get a good connection on the contact.
Often during the colder months the blinking problem appears.
Low current draw of Leds plus a required voltage threshold before leds conduct and light.
I had a black spot on a brake switch, the incandescent bulb had a slight delay before lighting up and the leds then came on.
I burnished the contacts and thereafter leds came on first.

6 pin Blue connector takes the TS signals to the indicator and to the rear.
Note>> A single bulb bridges across the TS wires. If you go ALL leds you will have to modify the single indicator with diodes.
As long as the back incandescent TS bulbs remain all is well.
Here is a couple photos ( the fruits of your input) about to hang bags add led passing headlight when it shows. Added 14 bits of chrome led under glows a ton of wiring changes. etc etc. Still looking for the right way to surface mount (flat) the new Garmin gps "that's been a task since no ram mounts are made for the 60 lm" but I'll get it ,,,, May build one from Kytex
And I've been reading about "this is what gets me in trouble" the pair valve block off. I'm attaching a pic of this said hose in question I have read the pros but not yet the how-tos but it seems there are many.
I really do love my vtx Even kicked the idea of selling my 2 bikes the 180-0 and a c50 suz and buying a newer version this winter...
I only have a few things I would like to change about this bike I can do most. Tach... Digital or easier to see speedo but my phone app works great. as will the gps when it's installed .... and the big one a taller 1st gear. you really got to get on to 2nd in a hurry when taking off in an aggressive manner
Cheers and thanks again
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4249.JPG (89.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4247.JPG (155.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4246.jpg (344.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4240.JPG (75.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4237.JPG (65.8 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page