Maybe it's just me but... - Page 2 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Garage
Big inch V-Twins.. do not like spinning much over 6,000 rpms...

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the helpful info I thought my bike info was in there but I'm gifted with old timers lol.
I rode last nite and got on the throttle at different speeds and noticed the issue at high and low rpms on all gears but 1st. 1st runs out of juice too quick to notice much. Lol it's like a Granny low gear. With as much power this engine has it seems it could take a tad taller 1st.
I'm not sure but weak springs sounds like my issue. I'll look to see the recommendation of life expectancy of the clutch and steels I may just replace the lot ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Travis View Post
Welcome to VTXOA.

At what speed were you at when you "hammered it" and what gear were you in?.
You probably were in 5th gear and around 65/70 MPH thus you should have down shifted.
Sounds like you were lugging the engine or if you did have your speed up could be like Charlie D
said, clutch springs.

P.S. You should update your profile with your bike info so when you ask questions you won't have
to type it each time.

The last bike I owned and rode was in the 90's But it was impossible to stay on four wheels any longer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
02' VTX 1800 R
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

FPR at 20000 would most likely be a good idea since you deem it common to fail or get weak. I'll put that on the list of things to get this week.
Like I mentioned I may just replace the clutch. Steels and springs and have piece of mind that it's all new

I also plan to do the Reed block off to fix a few other issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
weak clutch springs.

a poor and flaky,, FPR = fuel pressure regulator.. 2002 and 2003.. its like $40.00

an ALL to common problem..

Barrett or MTC for springs.. or upgrade the clutch package.. your call

I have the Racing MTC clutch and springs .. 40,000 miles now...

bike has 81,000 miles.

The last bike I owned and rode was in the 90's But it was impossible to stay on four wheels any longer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
02' VTX 1800 R

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Not the Rev limiter. Although it freak me out the 1st time It took effect. LOL. I tested through all gears at different speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
When this happened, were the RPMs really high in a gear? There is a rev limiter set at 5750rpms and this will cut then engine out until you shift up

02' VTX 1800 R
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking for a used tach they are a bit pricey I'm one that likes gauges instead of guessing or idiot lights.
I found a few cheaper tacjs (generic) but quality looks poor. And the nice ones can reach near 300 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
I keep forgetting only the "F" and 2008 C has a tachometer...as it uses the "F" dashboard.

rev limiter...

02' VTX 1800 R
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I have a power commander but it's a PC 3 USB I believe. The cat at the bike shop near here said it was a turd and I should replace it with a 5. However I'm not racing I just get on it on a few occasions. For safety to move outta the way and at times when my inner 20 year old kid comes out in me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
No setting to change for the limiter you would have to buy a PowerCommander and then buy the Rev Extend module then you could bump up the limiter by 500 rpms only

02' VTX 1800 R
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My Suzuki "Flair's" so I know that one it's not slipping. But I agree do it all while opened. Springs could be the gremlin but Fpr could be also.
I mechanically inclined but not being a long time rider of big twins I here all the sounds ticks bumps and clicks and mentally I start thinking the bike is communicating for a repair need. I was rasied to listen to all noises and address then before it's a big deal. I know I'm hyper sensitive too with all this a new experience. And you all know too well when your on a bike you hear and feel it all.
But I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac bike owner lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
When I first started noticing issues with my clutch it didn't chatter. It "flared" when shifting hard from 4th to 5th. In the higher gears the load to the engine increases and this is when the clutch is most likely to slip. When shifting hard from 4th to 5th, the revs would not settle like it should and I'd see higher RPMs until I let off the throttle and the clutch could catch. Then it was good. Eventually the clutch would not have been able to hold engine torque at all and RPMs would have flared whenever increasing throttle. I had never experienced "chatter" on the VTX clutch. Doesn't mean it wouldn't happen, just not my experience.

BTW, don't mess with just springs, do the whole pack for the extra few dollars, you won't regret it.

02' VTX 1800 R
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
the VTX is a very mechanical sounding machine.. yes it talks a lot.. and also has a noisy valve train..

see if you can download the service manual.. they are around..
heavy flywheel.. and counter-balancer...

all 2002 to 2008 are the same engine/transmission/final drive...

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:15 PM

The PCV or PC5 does very little the PC3 didn't already do on these bikes. There have been some noted failures of the PC3 on these bikes but the PC3 is not a "turd" IMO.

An FPR failure on this bike will result in the bike running very rich at lower RPMs. On decel (no throttle, high RPM, high vacuum) it will suck a great deal of fuel into the cylinders. If your oil level is rising and smelling of gasoline, then likely it's your FPR. If, while idling, your exhaust smells strongly of fuel, then you want to look at your FPR. Your bike is an '02, likely the FPR has already been replaced, and possibly more than once. A "chatter" is not something I'd associate with FPR failure.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
The PCV or PC5 does very little the PC3 didn't already do on these bikes. There have been some noted failures of the PC3 on these bikes but the PC3 is not a "turd" IMO.

An FPR failure on this bike will result in the bike running very rich at lower RPMs. On decel (no throttle, high RPM, high vacuum) it will suck a great deal of fuel into the cylinders. If your oil level is rising and smelling of gasoline, then likely it's your FPR. If, while idling, your exhaust smells strongly of fuel, then you want to look at your FPR. Your bike is an '02, likely the FPR has already been replaced, and possibly more than once. A "chatter" is not something I'd associate with FPR failure.
OK thank you very helpful
I wish a vtx Guru could take her for a spin. I maybe using the wrong word (chatter) when I accelerate its strong and feels very smooth until I throttle more agressively I.E Hammering the the throttle ( SouthernTexas Slang) or rompin on it
( West Texas Slang) or Puttin yer foot in 'er and or twistin 'er off which is more (East Texas Slang) LOL
It just not as smooth/.... I noticed popping on Decel and some carb backfire (very little) Which I think the reed Block off may cure.
But most likely I just need to enjoy the bike and not worry as much. Im just curious and cautious

02' VTX 1800 R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page