• 1 Post By AZrider43
  • 1 Post By Harkon
  • 1 Post By Chicago-Spike
  • 1 Post By Curt E

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust question for V&H Big Shots

My VTX came with V&H Big Shots and I installed their "quiet" glass-pack baffles. They slid nicely into place and I secured them with the single bolt.

However, now I cannot remove them after a few miles. The bolt comes out and the baffle spins freely and I can pull it back about 1/2" but it won't come out all the way.
Is the glass-packing getting bunched up and preventing me from pulling it out all the way?

How would you recommend to remove the baffles?
TIA for any helpful advice.
Lou

VTX 1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Why do you want to remove it? I had the same problem, alot of twisting pushing and pulling, maybe get creative with a slide hammer. Yes the packing is bunching up.
Curt E likes this.

Red 2004 1800N
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrider43 View Post
Why do you want to remove it? I had the same problem, alot of twisting pushing and pulling, maybe get creative with a slide hammer. Yes the packing is bunching up.
Why remove it? To get it out.
But seriously, you confirm my suspicion on the packing bunching up. Sucks. I should have wrapped it in tin foil before installation. I thought I was silly to even consider it because the manufacturer certainly knows what they're doing, right? Right?

Don't own a slide hammer. Might be a time to finally buy one. *sigh*
So more lubricant and twisting.
Curt E likes this.

VTX 1800C

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 PM

Yes, more lube will help. For a slide hammer, do this. Get some 3/16" rod, long enough to get to the front part of the baffle, and bend the end into a hook. Slide the rod in and hook it in. Using your largest vice-grips, lock onto the rod, back far enough that you can use a hammer right close to the potion where the vice-grips are clamped to the rod. Being anything but gentle, give it a good whack, and look for progress. Presto, home made slide hammer substitute. I used the heaviest oxy-acetylene filler rod I had. Did the trick for me.

Just a note ... too much oil in the packing will require new packing material. Oil will cause the packing to mat and compress. Takes the fluffy out of it.
rangers4u and Curt E like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 07-31-2018 at 08:39 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 PM

Does is sound bad that you want to remove it? I think it sounds better and less tinny or harsh with packing.
Curt E likes this.

Red 2004 1800N
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 PM

The baffle deepens the tone and takes away some of the harsh blat sound. It still, very much, has a cammed Nascar sound to it though. I really liked the sound.
Curt E likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

I'll ask too....Why after putting them in...why? Use a slide hammer and you will destroy the baffles and may even destroy the pipes. The other way to get them out is leave them in a year or so and much of the baffle material will have been blown out by then and then you can remove them easily
Curt E likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Garage
I was going to repack mine as they are getting loud again. May leave them in a couple more years, lol.. Dam..

They are better with the baffles IMO
Harkon likes this.

Tags
uite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page