Voltage At Idle - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Voltage At Idle

Has anyone tested their voltage at battery at warmed idle?

I note the manual I have says 15.5 Volts at 5000 RPM. I get almost exactly that when read with digital multi meter.

I found the voltage on my 03 1800 R can vary a bit depending on Idle speed. Have new battery with good connections.

I recently added two 35 watt fog lamps. (Yes, I ran a separate fused circuit with relay connected to accessory lighting circuit). This should be about a 6 amp draw. That should be OK?

I found that the lighting was enough of a slight voltage drop to make the Cobra Tripot cut out. If voltage drops below 14 all three lights come on.

Adjusted idle. There seems to be a sweet spot in idle speed that achieves 14.75. Seems like a bit of a high idle though.

Note: I have a Power Pro sitting in a box haven't installed it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM

Garage
16 years... .... same question . same bikes.

a motorcycle charging system is nothing like a car...

<< deleted >>

here comes another "RUDE" punishment.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 07-31-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: here comes another "RUDE" punishment.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM

Garage
15.5 volts charge voltage is good at below freezing temperature.
Too high for summer temps.

It seems the voltage regulation is not good, possibly single phase only working.
Check the stator connector, and while open measure the AC voltage from the stator.
I just created a thread on various 1800 things. "Charging system" was one of them
Look at the diagram for more info. Step by Step 1800 section
ervin260 and Randman like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-31-2018 at 11:15 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:38 AM

I have a volt meter on mine... normal riding it's 13.9, turn the blinker on, it will bounce from that to 14.x..

Now, I also notice if it gets hot, like setting in traffic the voltage will drop down into the 12.x range (it might of been down in the 11.x too, don't remember, that might be when fan comes on that it drops to 11.x, then goes back into the low 12.x range when it kicks off). I'm assuming the rectofier is getting hot, and thus causing the voltage to drop... once I get moving again it will start coming back up to normal as it cools..

Happened yesterday as a matter of fact, stuck in traffic for over 1/2 hour.

So keep that in mind, if your idling for too long, getting it hot, your voltage will drop down....
shadango and Randman like this.

2004 Honda VTX1800C - Black/Gold - Custom paint, F Wheels, Saddlemen Solo seat, Cobra speedster slashdown exhaust, kewl metal front & rear signals, Aeromach 6" risers, Thunder Hurricane intake, PowerCommander V, Progressive 444 Shocks, Progressive springs....
Gone to new home - 2007 Honda VTX1300C

Last edited by KenDawg; 07-31-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
I have a volt meter on mine... normal riding it's 13.9, turn the blinker on, it will bounce from that to 14.x..

Now, I also notice if it gets hot, like setting in traffic the voltage will drop down into the 12.x range (it might of been down in the 11.x too, don't remember, that might be when fan comes on that it drops to 11.x, then goes back into the low 12.x range when it kicks off). I'm assuming the rectofier is getting hot, and thus causing the voltage to drop... once I get moving again it will start coming back up to normal as it cools..

Happened yesterday as a matter of fact, stuck in traffic for over 1/2 hour.

So keep that in mind, if your idling for too long, getting it hot, your voltage will drop down....
I could definitely see a slight change when cooling fan came on too. It was hot out and I left it idle a for a few mins in in the garage to see how it acted when it was warmed up.

I’m surprised the fuel controller was so sensitive to voltage drop.

Pretty cool, you have a full time volt meter on it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I could definitely see a slight change when cooling fan came on too. It was hot out and I left it idle a for a few mins in in the garage to see how it acted when it was warmed up.

I’m surprised the fuel controller was so sensitive to voltage drop.

Pretty cool, you have a full time volt meter on it.
yeah it drops when the fan comes on for sure, but what I was talking about, is when the fan is off.... the voltage output goes down when its been sitting awhile running.. since the rectifier is down by the exhaust, and under the motor.. I'm 99% sure that is what causes it...

I added the little digital volt meter couple years ago, got it in the factory dash... looks like it came that way.... so now I will know if my charging system takes a crap while I'm out riding, so I can get it back home or somewhere fast before it dies...
Randman likes this.

2004 Honda VTX1800C - Black/Gold - Custom paint, F Wheels, Saddlemen Solo seat, Cobra speedster slashdown exhaust, kewl metal front & rear signals, Aeromach 6" risers, Thunder Hurricane intake, PowerCommander V, Progressive 444 Shocks, Progressive springs....
Gone to new home - 2007 Honda VTX1300C

Last edited by KenDawg; 07-31-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Motorcycle does not charge at idle speeds. This is why people that start their bikes every week over the winter, end up with dead batteries.
Capt. Rory likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Motorcycle does not charge at idle speeds. This is why people that start their bikes every week over the winter, end up with dead batteries.
Oh, I see. When I get home from work Iíll have to read up on the diagnostic procedure.

The whole reason I started looking at my idle voltage is that the Cobra fi2000r tripot was not working properly at idle.

Itís the one with the plugs on harness instead of vamp clip. Maybe one of the pins is not getting good connection.

I was going to install the Powrpro any way. Just starting to think I have an underlying electrical problem.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Garage
a car alternator spins at 2 to 3 times engine speed.
800 idle and alternator is doing 1,800 to 2,500 rpms

a motorcycle stator spins at ENGINE speed.. as stator is bolted to the crankshaft...

800 idle and stator is doing 800.. so very little power is made.
been this way.. since the 1920's......maybe even earlier.
Randman likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
The charging voltage does change according to the temperature.
I saw that thermistor (temp sensor) when I tore my defective R/R apart.

A chart for battery charge vs temperature.
Attached Images
File Type: png Battery charge vs temp chart.png (39.2 KB, 14 views)
ervin260 and Randman like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-31-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page