Rear tire recommendations? - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Rear tire recommendations?

I currently have Metzeler ME880 Marathons which will have to bereplaced probably mid-season. For the most part
I'm pretty happy what that set up but just just wanted to know what some you are using and what worked best. Now I know tires are a personal choice and I'm sure some of you have tried numerous applications and I'm looking to hear what you liked or didn't like. On my previous scoot which was a Honda Shadow, I had Michelin Commanders for almost 8,000 miles before I sold it and they barely looked broken in. The rubber seemed to last forever, the traction on them were the pits especially in the rain! Let's just say I had a few come to Jesus moments on them. Prior to that I had Dunlop 404s which were okay at best but had to be replaced within the next season.
I was reading some of the threads and see some of your using the Dunnys Elites which happens to be one of the options that I'm considering. I don't cut Corners when it comes to rubber but I do want to make sure that I get what I paid for.
Safety, performance and Longevity are my three criteria that I personally look for. Check and adjust my tire pressure at least once a week usually keep the back tire anywhere from 36 to 38 PSI and the front about 34 PSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 04:30 AM

Garage
Dunlop Elite 4 ( new model )... have used Dunlop 3 since 2007... I average 17,000 per tire.

I am hard on tires... and run 40 and 40 for air pressure.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
Kenda Kruz & Challengers........I too tried Commanders & didn't like the hard rubber.
DrDolittle likes this.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Dunlop Elite 4 or the American Elite both have their dual compound they designed with Harley for their heavyweight touring models. I have their first run of these on my HD CVO Ultra and they were fantastic in both wet and dry. Lasted for 18,000 miles before I took them off for new tires. I only swapped them at 18k because I was heading out on another 2 week trip and didn't want to try and find them on the trip. A guy at my dealer put my used tires on his old bike and used them for another 6,000 miles.

AMA Life Member 721314
Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Rear tire recommendations?

I put a set of Dunlop Elite 4 on mine last year and so far really like them. Like Spike said, I have experienced great traction in dry and wet riding. I donít expect the cupping on the front tire that I got from the Metzler tires due to an improved tread pattern. Only about 2k miles so Iím looking forward to seeing what they will do as the miles go up.

Used just about the entire tread area at this class.

StarrRider likes this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 PM

I always used Metzler on my Honda and put the 200 on the rear. They were abysmal for wear, but was told the 180s were way better. On the Harley I changed the stock Dunlop DT407s with Metzler ME888. This based on the recommendation of the tire guy I buy from that I trust. I would have no reason to try anything else, honestly. They've been great and last really well, no complaints.

I think, for the most part, bike tires in general are much better than they were just 10 or 20 years ago.
StarrRider likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Metzeler front and rear. Very happy so will stay with that set up. About 8000 miles/tire.

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (new)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
Old 03-08-2019, 09:18 PM

i have been using shinko tires for the last couple times
good tires at a good price and last just as long as any other more expensive tires i have had at double the price!!!

i am due for front and back this year....already got my tires.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...eet/cataclysm/
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 AM

Dunlop Elite front and rear at 40 PSI on both. Very satisfied with them for wear and handling.
rangers4u likes this.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM

I have a 2006 VTX 1800C and the stock size for the rear is 180/70 R16. I went on Chapmoto.com and looked for the Dunlop American Elite, couldn't find the Dunlop Elite 4. It came in 180/65B-16 for $220.50, 130/90B-16 $159.02. What's the suggestion for those 2 types? And what size tire would it be if I decided on a car tire?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in