Nail in my tire - Page 2 - VTXOA
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
I’m not gonna tell u to plug it......but I plug and play on mine
Ditto; same here. I agree that everyone has to make their own risk-tolerant decision, but some of the overblown hype makes me chuckle. “If your plug fails you’re going down” - what silliness. Punctures make tires deflate. I’ve had many such events. Never once had any control problems; just noted that handling was rapidly deteriorating and pulled over. It’s happened both while solo and with a passenger. I’ve never had a flat turn into a supernova, so somehow all the drama escapes me. But if I ever witness a bike explode from a flat I will probably form a different opinion.
bugs and DrDolittle like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM

I've patched a few, both front and rear and never has an issue. I get the safety argument, but hey, we're riding....end of the day, one needs to answer that question for oneself.
DrDolittle likes this.

It is the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered. -Aeschylus
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM

it is your choice
I put a new Avon Cobra on my bike and got a nail in 2 days. I decided to plug it until I was able to get a new tire. Put a new tire on after 18000 miles. I forgot about the plug until I took the tire off of the bike. Sometimes getting old ain't so bad.
DrDolittle likes this.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 PM

I've plugged and inside patched bike tires with no issues doing either. I've not used it but supposedly "ride on" will fix it even without a plug or patch. For plugging I prefer the mushroom plugs and have my own kit. On my backhoe using the mushroom plugs I plugged a hole in the front tire caused by a piece of 3/8 rerod, 80 PSI and all the force of up to 2 ton in the loader over rough terrain, never touched it again.
Harkon likes this.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro View Post
I've plugged and inside patched bike tires with no issues doing either. I've not used it but supposedly "ride on" will fix it even without a plug or patch. For plugging I prefer the mushroom plugs and have my own kit. On my backhoe using the mushroom plugs I plugged a hole in the front tire caused by a piece of 3/8 rerod, 80 PSI and all the force of up to 2 ton in the loader over rough terrain, never touched it again.
Those plugs are amazing. They get my vote as well.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
I have no experience with running on a patched tire; however, I do have experience with a rear tire blowout at 70 MPH in the center lane of Interstate 70 late on a Saturday afternoon out of state. It is not an experience I would care to repeat for the following reasons:

1. I'm certain I lost years off my life. In about 3 seconds, I wondered what the heck happened, if I would live, if I would be able to afford to replace my bike and how I would pay the hospital bills.
2. That the bike stayed “up” was a testament to God's will rather than my skill. I am just thakful He wasn't busy doing more important things at that moment.
3. Finding a tow truck late on a Saturday afternoon was difficult, but not impossible.
4. Finding a bike shop able to work on my bike after closing hours on a Saturday afternoon was difficult, but not impossible. (See the shameless plug below.*)
5. Finding a tire to meet specs late on a Saturday afternoon after closing hours was difficult, but not impossible thanks to my new “favorite bike shop” owner who had the right connections and resources to work that miracle.

I was on my way to see my granddaughters on a dance recital in PA. Those of you with granddaughters and grandsons will understand what I'm about to say. Those of you who don't have grandchildren will understand when you do. Some things are just priceless and you will be willing to do “whatever it takes” to honor relationships and rare opportunities.

I'm retired and on a fixed budget, so discretionary dollars are guarded like gold. Replacing motorcycle tires is expensive in every way for all of us. When you add all the expenses and mental anguish factors of this scenario together, this was an expensive lesson for me. What I learned is this: if a tire is marginal – it's getting replaced. I agree completely with Chicago-Spike – not worth the risk in my opinion.

*And now for the shameless plug I mentioned above. This incident happened in Washington, PA. The shop that bailed my butt out is Cool Valley Cycles in Canonsburg, PA. For those of you who travel that part of the world and want to add them to your contact list if you ever get in a jam, call Jason at 724-514-6521. Been there – done that – and literally bought the T-shirt (which is also very cool.)

2006 VTX 1800S3. National Cycle 2-Up Windshield, Hondaline Driving Lights, Paladin Crash Bars, Luggage Rack, Viking Bags VTX 1800 S Shock-Cutout Slanted, Studded Large Motorcycle Saddle Bags hard-mounted.

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." - Will Durante
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:39 PM

just my 2 pennies worth if u like to live on the wild side patch/plug but my life is worth alot more than the cost of a tire I would spend the money
rangers4u, StarrRider and henkvdb like this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Same discussion as going to the darkside. Saving money and risking your life. Everybody decides for him or herself.
And no I don't want to restart this discussion here
Harkon and StarrRider like this.

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (new)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Keep driving on it and airing it up. It will let you know when it's time to change it 😉

2003 1800 retro, electroluminescent paint, integrated rail lights, hypercharger, cobra pipes, powder coated frame
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Old Goat

I ride the Darkside,plug tires and when I can stay at a Holiday Inn Express.....at 71 still living on the edge......
Harkon and jbrittjr like this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page