Nail in my tire - VTXOA
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Nail in my tire

The nail has been in my tire now since the end of last season. I put soap and water on it and it's ever so slightly bubbling which means there is a very slow leak. My question is, is this something that can be repaired or do I have to face the financial consequences and get new rubber? I really hope not because these are relatively brand new Metzeler Tires with only about a thousand miles on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190314_114704_1552578691406.jpg (260.2 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
Mojo. You will get many opinions. I have done both and had no issues. That being said, and knowing what I know now, and being older and wiser. I would get another tire. Why, because my family and my azz are worth it.. My 2 cents..
rangers4u and steveroy60 like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:29 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

You have 2 tiny contacts with the road. I would not use a patched tire on a motorcycle where if you loose one tire, you are going down.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM

My opinion patch it if it's tubeless.a plug is for emergency only , on hiway with no other choice, to be patched asap. If it's tube type,i would change the tube but i would think if it's tube type it would be flat with a ripped tube by now. If you decide to replace it I'll give you my address. Send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you.
bugs and steveroy60 like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Garage
If you can have it patched/plugged from the inside, I'd do that, and add some Ride-On when you have the tire re-mounted. I've plugged tires before, and never had an issue, but I've also gotten older and wiser, and these bikes are heavier than most.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
The nail has been in my tire now since the end of last season.
Have you ridden with the nail in it?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Garage
Day 3 of my VTX ownership I picked up a nail. Replaced that K555 rear tire with a D404 POS.
Dealer gave me a good price and I had to have it now.

Anyway, a few tires later I patched the OEM, it had a slight bubbling.
I had to fight that damn patch to get it off. It was on good.
I patched again, still some light bubbling, put a tube in it.

00300 6/11/2005 OEM tire meets nail (D404 300-7669=7369 miles)
30,355 10/27/06 Original Dunlop K555 rear tire installed with a tube(good for 9,218 miles) to 39,323 miles

Many plies on the rear tire.
Is it a finishing nail?
Do what you are comfortable with.
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 03-14-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I know for sure it's a roofing nail. Last fall my neighbor had his roof done. I remember finding a couple of nails on my driveway and I picked it up. I guess the one I happen to miss is the one that got lodged in my tire. I rode probably for about 2 weeks with it last year and I went out for a quick ride today. There is a very slow leak as i sprayed soap and Water I noticed very gentle intermittent bubbling. I know it's easy just to say get a new tire but there's a lot of Life on this tire and from what I understand from some people they have ridden with the patch with no issue at all. I have decided I will get it taken care of tomorrow. I am not going to do this one myself there is a shop by my house called Champion Cycle which is an excellent shop which deals with all makes and models from metric to V-Twin to sport bikes and I know the owner personally. Most of the times I try to do things myself but I think this one I'll leave to a professional as it's way above my mechanical knowledge. I just basically wanted to know what sort of issues anyone has had with patching up their Tire. Of course if I had unlimited resources I'd go just buy a new tire. Unfortunately I'm not that privileged to just go drop $300 on new rubber which is completely unexpected for me
frnkcat likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
If you are comfortable riding with a nail in it, you should be pretty contented with a plug/patch or whatever repair.
frnkcat likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Old Goat

I’m not gonna tell u to plug it......but I plug and play on mine(I trust my work)....actually put 2 plugs in a 200....never had a problem...just this morning I plugged right front on my civic....good luck
TeepS, bugs and DrDolittle like this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”

2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 03-14-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page