Advantages / disadvantages of getting a Power Commander V? - VTXOA
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Advantages / disadvantages of getting a Power Commander V?

I've been on the fence for quite some time whether it's worth or not to put in a power commander. My first question is should I go ahead and do this mod what gaines if any will be noticeable? Let me preface this by saying should I do this I would get the bike dynoed as well. I would like to hear from anyone who has used the power commander or any other fuel management system and what sort of experiences you have with it? It's definitely not a cheap mod because between buying the unit, getting a new air intake plus having it installed and Dino would cost me north of a thousand bucks. I heard many different pros and cons but I would like your expertise to chime in with any experiences you have.

Last edited by Mrjo1340; 04-14-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Garage
he just passed recently...

Search for Charlie D... Washington state..

he posted ton's of information.. maps.. dyno shops ,,,, used for the 1800...

YES, same guy that wrote ton's on carburetor tuning for the 1300 as well

R.I.P Charlie D.

and many others that used almost every brand made for the VTX...
frnkcat likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-14-2019 at 08:23 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
Had a power commander on my bike since I bought it 5 years ago. I removed it due to electrical issues .Prob was not commander. Commander made my bike more hyper in 1-3rd gear or very responsive throttle wise. My exhaust always reeked of unburned fuel. Bike runs excellent without commander, no more fuel smell, and decal popping is about the same. Non ethanol fuel helps much on decel popping. Wish I had removed commander long ago as I don't miss it.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:16 AM

For me, at slower speeds and lower RPMs my bike would surge a bit. It was like it was on the edge of a fueling transition and couldn't pick. In the town I live in the speed limit is 40KMH or about 25MPH. First gear was way too busy and second gear was hitting that surging point, third gear was below the surging point but was too low. I added the PCIII (actually I started with the Cobra FI2000) and just fattening up the bottom helped with the surging. I never really needed the PCIII but could get some fuel out of the midrange and top end to cruise slightly more efficiently. For me, though, it was all about getting rid of the surging.
rangers4u likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 AM

depends if you bike needs it... mine did, and runs much better with it.. I needed more fuel on the low side due to Thunder Hurricane intake sucking more air, so it was lean and had lousy low throttle response.
Harkon likes this.

2004 Honda VTX1800C - Black/Gold - Custom paint, F Wheels, Saddlemen Solo seat, Cobra speedster slashdown exhaust, kewl metal front & rear signals, Aeromach 6" risers, Thunder Hurricane intake, PowerCommander V, Progressive 444 Shocks, Progressive springs....
Gone to new home - 2007 Honda VTX1300C
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
depends if you bike needs it... mine did, and runs much better with it.. I needed more fuel on the low side due to Thunder Hurricane intake sucking more air, so it was lean and had lousy low throttle response.
Exactly. If the bike is having that surging issue, then the PCV will help to get rid of that. That said, many have done exhaust and intake upgrades and have no need. If the bike is running well, no need to go fixing what ain't broke. A PCV properly tuned will give a slight butt dyno increase, but you'd never miss it if you don't have it. The 1800 has plenty of "put a smile on it" torque without it.
rangers4u, Curt E and StarrRider like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. I think it's a very expensive mod for such little gain. I have no problem with my 1800 I was just asking to see if I could make a great bike that much better.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I think it's a very expensive mod for such little gain. I have no problem with my 1800 I was just asking to see if I could make a great bike that much better.
I'd say then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Adding such stuff can result in difficulties down the road. Imagine you are on a trip, possibly 100's of miles for the nearest motorcycle garage, and your bike quits. Depending on how savvy you are, you may be stuck, or you may realize that removing the PCV is a good start to perhaps getting rolling again. All of this at the side of the road, mind you. Maybe with the rest of your riding group giving every variety of conflicting advice. I don't know about the PCV but the PCIII had been known to fail. Many here have long expressed their concern for such things and they are valid concerns. Such things are always a compromise.
skeeter69392 likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt E View Post
Had a power commander on my bike since I bought it 5 years ago. I removed it due to electrical issues .Prob was not commander. Commander made my bike more hyper in 1-3rd gear or very responsive throttle wise. My exhaust always reeked of unburned fuel. Bike runs excellent without commander, no more fuel smell, and decal popping is about the same. Non ethanol fuel helps much on decel popping. Wish I had removed commander long ago as I don't miss it.
Curt, did you do the de-smog of your bike to cut down on the de-cel popping ?

I have Vance & Hines Big Shots, not sure which baffles but it is very loud with no aftermarket fuel mgmt system. I have de-smogged the bike per bare ass choppers website and it has cut down significantly on the de-cel popping .........
Curt E likes this.

2005 Honda VTX 1800C1....5,700 miles; 1982 XJ750 Maxim, original owner

Last edited by Bilge; 04-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM

it seems to me that once you go down that rabbit hole there is nothing but problems.
i have buddies that have done that and just ended up with headaches and a lighter wallet.

then when you start having problems you have to figure out if its what you have added that's faulty or is it the oem stuff.
dino a vtx?? for what?? its a cruiser bike and it is what it is....a great cruiser.
Xman/qc and Curt E like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page