Rear flange bearing...how do I know - VTXOA
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Rear flange bearing...how do I know

I have recently upgraded from a 2005 vtx 1300R to a 2003 vtx 1800C. Love the power but I have been reading that there are several known issues with the 1800's.

The bike has 7k miles on it. It has a few rust spots as well...and ordinary wear to be 16 years old.

Anyway, other than looking for final drive fluid leaks or pulling the wheel off, how would I know if I had a bad wheel bearing?

Also, the front shocks/springs/struts...are the typically a little bouncy on the 1800?

thanks for the help!

Brock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Your post asks about wheel bearings, but your thread title asks about flange bearings. Two very different things. But they can both let you know via noise that they are gone. The better way to identify "time to replace" is just to feel them when you've got rear wheel off bike. If they roll smoothly, they are good. If you feel roughness, then shell out a few bucks.

The flange bearings seem to get lots of hype, but lots of people have reported having them almost completely reduced to rust and grit and it still didn't have any catastrophic impact on the bike. Not that I'm saying it's unimportant to have the pumpkin and wheel spin smoothly on the same axis... but just that flange bearing degradation won't likely leave you on the side of the road. Just a good thing to PM whenever your rear wheel is off for lube PM or tire replacement.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
known issues ?????? on an 1800

flange bearings.. mine went bad at 45,000 miles
clutch springs... mine went bad at 55,000 miles
fork seals and bushings at 83,000 miles..

WHAT PROBLEMS..... I got my bike NEW

87,000 plus miles.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Old Goat

Back in the day when I was made aware of the issue thru the forum...I purchased several from trike conversions...now when ever I change out a tire ...I rotate out a flange...good luck..

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”

2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
in 2002... on this forum many were making lots of noise for Honda to do a recall.....

No recall... lots of flange bearings fail....

cheap fix...

17 years.... its still an unknown...

my opinion.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

There are 2 flange bearings, in the final drive mounted back to back. You feel them/rotate them when you have the wheel off for new tire. If they are smooth to rotate they are fine. There are then, 2 wheel bearings inside the wheel one on either side

BTW....1300's had the same problem
DrDolittle likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM

A member on here, from Wash. St., I think JonsVTX1800C or something like that, has been helping with this problem for years. Lets say you purchased a used VTX, but not knowing the condition of the flange bearing, decide to replace it. Send yours to him, for I think just under $200, and he will send you one thats been inspected and/ or re-man., and bolt it up & ride. IF YOUR CORE that you sent is in decent shape to where he can re-work it for someone else to buy, he will REBATE you a good chunk of that back, like 30-40 % more ore less. In my case, mine had low miles on it, but I got a polished final drive unit of unknown miles, so I followed that procedure with him, and I couldn't be happier. Maybe someone could verify if he still does this?
DrDolittle likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Garage
Jon is active right now> 3 Pass Blast
Send him a PM, Jon's1800VTXC
chuck_VTX F and rangers4u like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 AM

I still do the remanufactured flanges - $175 exchange with refundable $65 core when I get the good core back

Jon

Send me a pm or email [email protected]

Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM

I don't know if Honda ever fixed the issue in later years but certainly early models were prone to flange bearing failure. I have an early 2002 VTX1800C, I can't remember the mileage, when the flange bearings failed it's too many years ago now, but it was around the time of the second rear tire change. I replaced them and they failed again a tire change or two later. My thought was that the combined medium press fit of the bearing O.D. into the flange housing and the flanged bushing pressed into the bearing bore was excessive to the point where the internal clearance in the bearing races was reduced enough to cause premature failure. So on the second replacement, I polished both the O.D. of the bushing and the bore of the flange housing just enough to reduce the press fit to a light press fit, that was over 40,000 miles ago. When I changed the rear tire last year, the bearings were still in good condition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page