Question: Left Side Cover on F - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Question: Left Side Cover on F

I recently had to remove the left side cover on my F and when I put it back on, the lower pin does not appear to fit properly and won't stay seated in the lower grommet. There is nothing restricting the bottom of the cover, the grommet is in good condition. It feels like the grommet and grommet support are not far out enough. I don't know if the cover has ever fit right. Any suggestions? Any similar problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Have you pushed the grommet in too far..
Spit oil, or silicone lube will help with the push in too far issue.

Many have lost side covers that way..

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:10 PM
bdm

Sounds like you pushed in to far i use a little vaseline on my grommets

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is possible that I pushed it in too far, because when it's pushed in until it stops, the cover does not fit as well. I used silicon spray when I replace the side cover. Perhaps it's too slippery. Thanks for the quick replies.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Garage
New starter relay causing the side cover issue??

Most of these starter relays were made with an IGN terminal to shunt the resistor in the points - coil .
. Check if it will crank with kickstand down and in gear... Better use the clutch for safety

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-17-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

The old solenoid had only four terminals. The new solenoid has four terminals. I posted the solenoid installation with photos on the repair section. My M109Rs require the clutch to be pulled to start at all times, though if I don't they simply won't turn over. I will check out the VTX. Of course in the old days when I started riding there were no lock-outs of any kind, a headlight switch, no front brake light switch, and a screw-in steering dampener on the steering head. No oil filter, spokes and leak-prone tubes, cable or rod actuated drum brakes...Times are good now.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I removed the chrome cover over the shifting linkage and with a mirror I was able to see the position of the pin on the side cover and the lower grommet. The pin is not aligned with the hole in the grommet. If I press hard on the bottom of the cover, I can force the pin in the hole, but it pops out when pressure is released. It is an alignment problem. I don't want to cut the grommet standoff from the frame and weld another where it should be. Anyone have a suggestion? I am pretty sure the bike has never been wrecked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page