Honda VTX Forum banner

Question: Left Side Cover on F

875 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Yaesu 
#1 ·
I recently had to remove the left side cover on my F and when I put it back on, the lower pin does not appear to fit properly and won't stay seated in the lower grommet. There is nothing restricting the bottom of the cover, the grommet is in good condition. It feels like the grommet and grommet support are not far out enough. I don't know if the cover has ever fit right. Any suggestions? Any similar problems?

#4 ·
Yes it is possible that I pushed it in too far, because when it's pushed in until it stops, the cover does not fit as well. I used silicon spray when I replace the side cover. Perhaps it's too slippery. Thanks for the quick replies.

#5 · (Edited)
New starter relay causing the side cover issue??

Most of these starter relays were made with an IGN terminal to shunt the resistor in the points - coil .
. Check if it will crank with kickstand down and in gear... Better use the clutch for safety

#6 ·
The old solenoid had only four terminals. The new solenoid has four terminals. I posted the solenoid installation with photos on the repair section. My M109Rs require the clutch to be pulled to start at all times, though if I don't they simply won't turn over. I will check out the VTX. Of course in the old days when I started riding there were no lock-outs of any kind, a headlight switch, no front brake light switch, and a screw-in steering dampener on the steering head. No oil filter, spokes and leak-prone tubes, cable or rod actuated drum brakes...Times are good now.

#7 ·
I removed the chrome cover over the shifting linkage and with a mirror I was able to see the position of the pin on the side cover and the lower grommet. The pin is not aligned with the hole in the grommet. If I press hard on the bottom of the cover, I can force the pin in the hole, but it pops out when pressure is released. It is an alignment problem. I don't want to cut the grommet standoff from the frame and weld another where it should be. Anyone have a suggestion? I am pretty sure the bike has never been wrecked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.