2002 VTXC 1800 Fuel Lights and Tank Capacity - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

2002 VTXC 1800 Fuel Lights and Tank Capacity

Hi Everyone,

New to this group and just bought a 2002 1800C with pretty good nick. I understand the fuel capacity is about 5.5 US gallon and 4.5 something UK gallon. Fuel light comes on after 80 miles and when I fill up it only takes about 11.5 litre which is roughly about 2.5 UK gallons.

Even then it averages about 32-35 miles per gallon and its all mixture of town and motorways etc. I'm around London UK. Any tech gents out there if there is an issue with the fuel warning lights etc.?

Cheers

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Correction......Fuel Capacity is a "Claimed" 4.49 US gallons with actual around 4 gallons

Your 32-35 MPGs is right in the normal range the VTX is thirsty and it has a small fuel tank

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM

^^^^What Spike said. 4.49 gal. US. I average 35-58 mpg, and my blue low fuel light can come on anywhere from 3.5 to 3.8 gal., which tells me find a gas (petrol) station in the next 25 mi. or prepare to push/ walk.
chuck_VTX F likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Garage
Trade it in for a 2nd Generation 1800C, 2005 or later..
More smiles!
chuck_VTX F and rangers4u like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Correction......Fuel Capacity is a "Claimed" 4.49 US gallons with actual around 4 gallons

Your 32-35 MPGs is right in the normal range the VTX is thirsty and it has a small fuel tank
If that is miles per imperial gallon, the mileage is poor even allowing for the limited open roads in the UK.
I consistently get 39-43 miles per US gallon on my 2002 1800C even riding two up. MPG for imperial gallons should be 20% higher in theory.
As stated, the early 1800C with the internal fuel pump only holds about 4.5 US gallons. If you fill it with the bike upright, not on the side stand, you will get close to that amount.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Brit View Post
If that is miles per imperial gallon, the mileage is poor even allowing for the limited open roads in the UK.
I consistently get 39-43 miles per US gallon on my 2002 1800C even riding two up. MPG for imperial gallons should be 20% higher in theory.
As stated, the early 1800C with the internal fuel pump only holds about 4.5 US gallons. If you fill it with the bike upright, not on the side stand, you will get close to that amount.
I average 32-35MPG (UK) on a long run that can go up to 45mpg I think she is a thirsty girl because I like to feel the torque using W.O.T in the right gear. I am sure if I rode her more moderately around town and rural twisties she would do much better. but W.T.F why have all that oomph on tap and not play :+)
rangers4u and Bikerbob1 like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Rodent View Post
Hi Everyone,

New to this group and just bought a 2002 1800C with pretty good nick. I understand the fuel capacity is about 5.5 US gallon and 4.5 something UK gallon. Fuel light comes on after 80 miles and when I fill up it only takes about 11.5 litre which is roughly about 2.5 UK gallons.

Even then it averages about 32-35 miles per gallon and its all mixture of town and motorways etc. I'm around London UK. Any tech gents out there if there is an issue with the fuel warning lights etc.?

Cheers

S
When I first got my 1800N, I took it for a ride, and the fuel light came on at about half-way through the tank. (about 2.2 U.S. gal.). does fine now, coming on with about a gallon left. I'm thinking it's a little float that may tend to stick if the bike isn't driven regularly. I'd suggest taking it over some cobblestones, or another bumpy road to free the float.
Hope it helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bikelights.jpg (28.9 KB, 18 views)

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob1 View Post
When I first got my 1800N, I took it for a ride, and the fuel light came on at about half-way through the tank. (about 2.2 U.S. gal.). does fine now, coming on with about a gallon left. I'm thinking it's a little float that may tend to stick if the bike isn't driven regularly. I'd suggest taking it over some cobblestones, or another bumpy road to free the float.
Hope it helps!
The sensor is a thermistor aka resistor that changes resistance depending on temperture.
When in fuel it is a high resistance, when in air the current flow warms it up and resistance goes down
and the low fuel light goes on.

Early 1800 have it on the in-tank fuel pump bracket.
Late models with external FP have the thermistor on a small arm.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1800 low fuel sensor 2nd gen with ext fuel pump.png (74.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Toboggan fuel sensor 1.JPG (38.9 KB, 2 views)
rangers4u likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; Today at 09:35 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Rodent View Post
Hi Everyone,

Cheers

S

I usually can average 43 mpg at 80 miles per hour on HWY driving on my 2002 1800R with Honda windscreen and saddle bags.
Also stand the bike up right when fuelling it up it does make a difference with the fuel light coming on at around 150 miles verses 120 miles on the side stand! ( the C just has that smaller tank capacity)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 09:59 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Brit View Post
It has a LOT to do with these factors;
Has the Fuel Pressure Regulator, or FPR, been changed yet? See this for more;
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/car...ure-regulator/
What pipes
What airbox
Is there a fuel manager in play?
How well is it tuned and for what? Max power or Max mileage
What fuel octane rating is he using? You should be using the LOWEST octane available as Honda engineers designed it to run best on low octane fuel not premium
Tire pressures? 38-40psi for both
The roads he rides on most often and at what speeds

Any one of these can fluctuate the MPGs by one or two miles and if several are in play then 32-35 mpgs is certainly possible
BobSill likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in