No headlight after replacing the start stop switch. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

No headlight after replacing the start stop switch.

Hi y’all, new to the forum. Been riding my 2003 VTX1800C for about 8 years since getting from someone who had obviously left it in the weather. Have had an intermittent fault that lets the bike run but without headlights off and on. Usually self resolves after awhile for unknown reasons. Had the stock solenoid fail and replaced it with an aftermarket ‘stock replacement part’ that essentially bolted right in. After that, the start switch began to ‘stick’ (worse than ever), the starter ‘dragged’ in engaging like the switch wasn’t connecting and/or the starter stayed engaged even with the kill switch off and the ignition key turned off! Even kept on cranking with the start switch disassembled...
So, I’ve just replaced the start stop switch with the Honda part 35013-MCH-020. No headlights. Same cranking issues (briefly).
Rechecked the wiring and it all matches perfectly.
Ideas or experience???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 AM

well for my two penneth (please bear in mind I am no elastictrickery guru) It would seem to be something on the start-up circuit. you have changed two of the biggest components. go through the starter circuit pull each connector and check for damage. Clean as best-you-can then use dielectric grease or silicone spray to help the connection. This will also help to keep water and atmospherics out of the system. If you have not done the ground fix do it! It may help. I know its only minor stuff But that is about my limit I am afraid, hope it helps, & let us know how you get on
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 AM

Garage
1800 has a unique situation.
A Weak battery and during cranking the starter relay will drop out from low voltage and some arcing takes place as contacts open,
voltage goes up, relay contacts close again to a scarred contact which will weld together from a poor connection.
A blow to the starter relay usually will release but the damage has been done.

Replace battery and starter relay.

You replaced the Starter/Headlight/kill switch assembly.
Did the 9 pin Red connector snap in and lock???
Check and verify. Check the wire terminal "Blue/White" wire.
The Starter Switch uses sliding copper bar that is normally "Closed" for the headlight function.
Old dirty grease in the switch causes a high resistance that creates heat. Usually a clean & lube will fix the problem..
You have a new switch so lets go to part two.

The High/Low Beam switch on the left HB grip could be the issue. I noticed a few volts drop on my headlight wiring.
The Blue/White wire from the RED connector goes to the Black 6 pin connector to the Hi/Lo switch.
Check all the terminals in the respective connectors.
Check the Ground connection(Green wire) in the 6 pin Blue connector block.

Check the connections on the H4 Halogen bulb.(55/60 watts)
If you are still using the original bulb replace it..
Attached Images
File Type: png 02-03 1800RS Left HB switches.png (196.6 KB, 2 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 05-15-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page