Hard starting - VTXOA
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Hard starting

I have a 2003 1800c. Fresh battery this year. Put new plugs in it yesterday. It has a teclution fi fuel management box. K&n air cleaners. Its became hard to start. Spins over fine just won't start without twisting the throttle alittle. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:40 AM

Are you smelling fuel, like it's flooded. Mine did that when the FPR went out.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Actually yes I do smell gas. I'll definitely unhook the FI tuner with I get home. I've had the bike for 10 years and have never touched that box. Is it just a plug and play unit?

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
1. Remove aftermarket fuel manager.
2. Check wiring, vampire clips score strands = poor connection, wires break sometimes.(TPS)
3. Ground fix. FI electronics need a good ground.
4. As Harkon mentioned - FPR, which have been failing since 2013

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valter19 View Post
Actually yes I do smell gas. I'll definitely unhook the FI tuner with I get home. I've had the bike for 10 years and have never touched that box. Is it just a plug and play unit?
You may want to check the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Internally there is a diaphragm that over time can leak. The diaphragm is vacuum controlled and when you first turn the key and the fuel pump starts to flow fuel to "prime" the system, fuel will leak through the diaphragm into the vacuum line. You will have a flooded engine before you even touch the starter button.

If you have had the bike for 10 years and this has never been replaced, then you should replace it with new as it is just a matter of borrowed time at this point.

One way to check, likely the easiest, is to pull the vacuum line at the FPR and turn the key to prime the system. Any fuel in that vacuum line or exiting the FPR vacuum port indicates you need a new FPR. If you do there's is one more very important thing to know. At this point you have been dumpling a large amount of fuel into your engine, and have washed the cylinder walls with fuel, that is washed off the lubricating film, and have fouled your oil. Check your oil. Does it smell of fuel? You will need to change your oil / filter, use an inexpensive 10W40 oil for this change. Run the bike for 10 or 20 minutes, like a short ride, and then change the oil (no need to change the filter) again with your regular brand. Do this after you have changed the FPR and don't run the engine until the FPR is changed and the fouled oil is dropped and replaced with fresh. The FPR will ship with a rubber plug on the fuel return port. That absolutely needs to be removed upon installation.

Good luck.
smurfy71 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 05-31-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I pulled this off today and so far so good. It started easy and took it for a little ride. Will let bike cool and do it again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190531_124317_1559321413212.jpg (301.9 KB, 9 views)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Quote:
You may want to check the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Internally there is a diaphragm that over time can leak. The diaphragm is vacuum controlled and when you first turn the key and the fuel pump starts to flow fuel to "prime" the system, fuel will leak through the diaphragm into the vacuum line. You will have a flooded engine before you even touch the starter button.

If you have had the bike for 10 years and this has never been replaced, then you should replace it with new as it is just a matter of borrowed time at this point.

One way to check, likely the easiest, is to pull the vacuum line at the FPR and turn the key to prime the system. Any fuel in that vacuum line or exiting the FPR vacuum port indicates you need a new FPR. If you do there's is one more very important thing to know. At this point you have been dumpling a large amount of fuel into your engine, and have washed the cylinder walls with fuel, that is washed off the lubricating film, and have fouled your oil. Check your oil. Does it smell of fuel? You will need to change your oil / filter, use an inexpensive 10W40 oil for this change. Run the bike for 10 or 20 minutes, like a short ride, and then change the oil (no need to change the filter) again with your regular brand. Do this after you have changed the FPR and don't run the engine until the FPR is changed and the fouled oil is dropped and replaced with fresh. The FPR will ship with a rubber plug on the fuel return port. That absolutely needs to be removed upon installation.

Good luck.
I hate to ask a dumb question, but where is the fuel pressure regulator on the bike so I know where to look?
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I found the loction thanks to bare ass chopper. My oil dont smell like gas and I just changed it last week I believe. Can I get away with changing the FPR without changing the oil?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I found the loction thanks to bare ass chopper. My oil dont smell like gas and I just changed it last week I believe. Can I get away with changing the FPR without changing the oil?
If the oil doesn't smell of fuel, you should be fine to just change the FPR.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Quote:
If the oil doesn't smell of fuel, you should be fine to just change the FPR.
Harkon, thank you my friend for all your help. I will post tomorrow how it did and post again after I get the FPR changed. I won't be anytime swap the FPR till tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page