Tachometer for a 1800c - VTXOA
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tachometer for a 1800c

I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread on this as things have progressed past the original thread, link to that is here.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1...ring-help.html

I have finally had success in getting one to work and work well, the tach being a sierra marine tach but it is full size.
It is the heavy duty series part #82288P , 6K tach 3-3/8" all sierra marine gauge faces will withstand 6 psi water pressure and not leak.
However the gauge is open in back to breath so it must be mounted in a gauge cup, I purchased this one.
https://www.autometer.com/3-3-8-moun...-ga-black.html

More on sierra marine gauges can be found at http://v3istruments.com
Using the pulse settings switch on the back I set it for 4P 8cyl. and tied into the cam pos. sensor with a soldered connection on the terminal in the plug under the seat.

There is a potentiometer on back as well and I used it to fine tune the tach but was only able to get it to within 100 rpms of actual, I will check it again when I get the gauge cup and mount it (batteries very weak on hand held tach).
It is rock steady with no needle bounce and very smooth as I throttled up, this tach will not work using the alternator hook up as it only goes up to 12 pulses but I did order the diodes and resistors to do a DIY tach adapter so I will try that as well and post the results.
The tech I spoke with at V3insturments was very helpful and informative (these gauges are made in the USA!)

Now for VDO tachometers - This gets even better!
My friend in the marine biz is trying locate this VDO marine tach, https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instrumen...ev-signal.html
They come in 2,3 and 4 pulse versions 899-S-2P , 899-S-3P and 899-S-4P seen here https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instrumen...chometers.html
these 3 are 100% waterproof so a torrential down pour will not effect them at all period, they are made in Sicily and John at VDO tech support (also very helpful!!) explained that they can be programmed at the factory to however many pulses you like
So good bye tach adapters!! (1 pulse = 1 wire & 1 coil ), or for "C" models tach lead in headlight bucket!
These tach are supposed to be accurate to + or - 2.5%, only draw back is no potentiometer for fine tuning...
I will post more when I do the final hook up and locate a VDO tach
Special thanks to: Drag Specailties ( for extremely poor customer support and cheesy tachs) , Baron Custom accessories (for twitchy jerky unreadable tachs they guaranty to work on a 03 1800c but good support).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C4163E3-7717-4C1B-B437-2007C66C5FA2 (3).jpg (206.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 6D75353B-0448-4F7A-84E2-60BF36C5770A (2).jpg (268.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 93C1D8AE-3A59-4A35-9CDD-AF2764DBD85A (2).jpg (396.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FF82867F-D3EB-4B09-90C6-0224F0883545 (2).jpg (390.1 KB, 20 views)

2003 1800 c Blurple,Memphis Shades W.S and lowers,Mustang seats with backrest,Saddleman teardrop jumbo bags,Hondaline sissybar w/ pad,Custom made trailer hitch and bag mts.,Custom made swivel hitch,Custom trailer for towing behind bike,Custom made Bigfoot floor boards with foot and heel tabs,Custom made heel/toe shifter,Hopkins powered tail light converter,Samsung tablet running Locus map for GPS,Tank bag,LOTS of usb ports

Last edited by mark4of5; 06-05-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added c model note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 AM

Garage
Hello Mark, interesting info!

Can you provide some detail information on your ECM pin extraction method?
1300 has an issue with wires breaking at the ICM.
Same connector as the 1st gen 1800 22 pin connector.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM

I am extremely happy with my VDO tach set in the no-longer-available Rivco chromed mount that bolts to the top clamp and sits around the speedo, making it look kinda like a little center gauge cluster. Regular idles @ 900 + rpm, fast idle @ 1600+ rpm, absolutely no needle bounce. Again, many thanks to Chuck VTX F for getting the bugs out, along with Rivco tech support for supplying the little adapter needed to convert a 1300 tach for 1800 use.
chuck_VTX F likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hans, I will be posting some more info on VDOís tonight (gets even better) and will get some better pics of how to get the pins out along with the dinky tool I made. Itís not too bad but man theyíre in there!
rangers4u likes this.

2003 1800 c Blurple,Memphis Shades W.S and lowers,Mustang seats with backrest,Saddleman teardrop jumbo bags,Hondaline sissybar w/ pad,Custom made trailer hitch and bag mts.,Custom made swivel hitch,Custom trailer for towing behind bike,Custom made Bigfoot floor boards with foot and heel tabs,Custom made heel/toe shifter,Hopkins powered tail light converter,Samsung tablet running Locus map for GPS,Tank bag,LOTS of usb ports
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pin Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Hello Mark, interesting info!

Can you provide some detail information on your ECM pin extraction method?
1300 has an issue with wires breaking at the ICM.
Same connector as the 1st gen 1800 22 pin connector.
No problem, here ya go.
You will need a dinky screwdriver (mine was 1.4 mm from radio shack) or a set of those tiny screw drivers (like for eye glasses) or piece of mechanics wire about .062 I used both and both worked fine.
If you use the wire cut it to about 2" long and grind a bevel on one end (like a wood chisel) on the other end bend a short 90 maybe 1/2", I did this so I could tell which way the bevel was and to catch my finger tip.
Attached is a pdf I made showing a jumbo view of one terminal slot with the rubber gasket pulled back, I tried the screwdriver today on a second term. and it pulled out very easily (it still had the silicone grease on the black rubber sealing ring).
In the last picture with screwdriver I am very gently prying the plastic tab up to unlock the term. as I do that I pull gently on the wire coming out of the plug ( I guess it would be the outside end ) with my other hand, if you have to pull hard then the term. is ether stuck or not unlocked (cam pos. sense wire was stuck, hole was dry but it came out).
When I pried on the release tab I pried against the terminal itself, it takes very little pressure to get it to let go.
I do a lot of RC flying and build my own drones so I had the tools and am used to this tiny stuff.
If a terminal needs to be replaced I don't know where you could get one like Honda uses but.... I checked today and a female servo terminal will fit on the ECM male pin and does pass through the slot in the plug (just can't lock it into the plug) I included a picture of one.
You would have to put a short lead of wire on the terminal then push it onto the corresponding pin on the ECM and feed the lead through the plug making a soldered connection outside the plug to the original wire.
These female pins. https://www.readymaderc.com/products...ale-pins-5-pcs

Best of luck Hans !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C0DD1FD3-6B20-4C18-A48B-2A567FD33494.jpg (225.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg 4C357399-2B2C-4F5C-BD7B-22BD1DAA379C.jpeg (383.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 18B6EFFC-BEAF-4096-972C-08B31D38B7AE.jpeg (630.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg D0922D49-89AB-4910-952E-530E78E8287A.jpeg (414.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 76133D99-D17E-40F7-88EA-F3D17A08C054.jpeg (454.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg 405C6400-6F99-4B11-AA61-DF0DB563DA6F.jpeg (343.2 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_Doc0001.pdf (370.5 KB, 10 views)
rangers4u likes this.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 AM

As Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh-In....."Veeeelly eeentellesting!"

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Mark is it ok to use your text and pix to create a PDF?

I have complied a few docs and created a few PDF.
I have them in the Step by Step section.

I went to Bareasschoppers to get the link for terminals.
You could probably nail down the exact pin used.
Pin latches, either a small tab on the terminal or a hole and the connector body has the latch.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Mark is it ok to use your text and pix to create a PDF?

I have complied a few docs and created a few PDF.
I have them in the Step by Step section.

I went to Bareasschoppers to get the link for terminals.
You could probably nail down the exact pin used.
Pin latches, either a small tab on the terminal or a hole and the connector body has the latch.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html
Sure Hans go right ahead
I put another post on this thread early this morning with more info on VDOís but I donít see it.....
Hmmm, I must have done something wrong so Iíll redo it tonight
Thanks for the link! Iíll check it out tonight

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Garage
The white looks good. Would be easy to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white premier.JPG (45.3 KB, 8 views)
rangers4u likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
The white looks good. Would be easy to read.
They do!
Are those automotive or marine?
Can you add a link?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page