2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
I know The type of sound is something I've never really heard before. It's not a rattle, it's higher pitch and faster more like a buzzing. I wish I had a better way to describe it.
A well-known noise on the 1300 (CB) is the brakes buzzing when the brakes are applied check that your pads are not running on the disc. Also think about when it happens does it happen more after you have applied the brakes? one way to rule them out is to remove them and give the callipers and pistons a right good clean.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Old Goat

Well good luck OP....it took me awhile to realize most of the noises were in my head....
DrDolittle likes this.

Phil...(71)ĒNobody told me I die at the endĒ
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I didn't have as much time to work on it as I wanted this weekend between the weather and family needing my attention. I tried holding down on the dash and that didn't help. I did the engine cut test and that really helped isolate it. It's definitely coming from the front and I noticed it does get much louder when I use the brakes. I almost wonder if one of the pads is dragging a bit. The roters don't seem like they are over-heating so I think I'll be good for my vacation. Once I get back, I'll take it in and have it looked at and report back.

Thanks for your help all!

2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Disc brakes drag, always even on cars and trucks the pads never fully disengage from the rotors. Did you have the front tire taken off the bike recently? Is the sound a rhythmic "shhhhh.....shhhhh.....shhhhhh......shhhhh.... ."? If yes, then the front wheel was not installed properly. There is a procedure that MUST be followed to the letter for the wheel to be seated properly. This is it;
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/whe...tire-vtx-1800/

AMA Life Member 721314
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The front wheel has not been taken off since I've had the bike. The sound is rhythmic but also mostly constant that varies based on ground speed. I could hear it fairly clearly with the motor off.

2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

This sounds exactly like a front wheel NOT being installed properly.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
This sounds exactly like a front wheel NOT being installed properly.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to see if I can jack the bike up and test the front wheel.

2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was out riding last night and started hearing a noise that is concerning me a little bit. (Iíve got a 2005 1800F.) Iím not sure the best way to describe itÖ It sort of sounds like marbles rubbing together or the sound you get if youíve ever used those stressballs that you rotate around in your hands. I can hear it a little at speed but when I slow down itís the most noticeable. I wouldnít say itís loud but itís something I didnít hear a few weeks ago. The bike is fairly new to me so Iím still getting used to all the new sounds.

At first, I thought it was the brakes but when I was testing it yesterday, Iíd pull in the clutch and let off throttle and as I slowed the pitch/frequency of the sound would change with road speed. I tried to tell where it was coming from on the bike but wasnít sure. My guess is that it was either the front/middle. The sound is quiet enough that I canít really hear it over the exhaust so I only noticed when slowing down.

Iím looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this / determine if its something I need to worry about.

Iím supposed to leave on vacation next weekend so I donít have time to get it into the dealership before going and weíre planning on taking the bike with us. Weíll be limited to shorter rides (weíre trailering it up.)

Thanks!

How many miles do you have on your ride!

It could be the rubber dampers in rear wheel hub as they wear over time and need to be replaced!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Press down on the chrome dash on the tank. That makes noise on some of these bikes
That was my thought... (Also have had loose exhaust covers rattle at certain lower rpms with V&H big shots)

2004 VTX 1800R "Once you go black you never go back"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page