Strange noise based on road speed - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Strange noise based on road speed

Hello Everyone,

I was out riding last night and started hearing a noise that is concerning me a little bit. (Iíve got a 2005 1800F.) Iím not sure the best way to describe itÖ It sort of sounds like marbles rubbing together or the sound you get if youíve ever used those stressballs that you rotate around in your hands. I can hear it a little at speed but when I slow down itís the most noticeable. I wouldnít say itís loud but itís something I didnít hear a few weeks ago. The bike is fairly new to me so Iím still getting used to all the new sounds.

At first, I thought it was the brakes but when I was testing it yesterday, Iíd pull in the clutch and let off throttle and as I slowed the pitch/frequency of the sound would change with road speed. I tried to tell where it was coming from on the bike but wasnít sure. My guess is that it was either the front/middle. The sound is quiet enough that I canít really hear it over the exhaust so I only noticed when slowing down.

Iím looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this / determine if its something I need to worry about.

Iím supposed to leave on vacation next weekend so I donít have time to get it into the dealership before going and weíre planning on taking the bike with us. Weíll be limited to shorter rides (weíre trailering it up.)

Thanks!

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
Not a lot to go on there fella. could be anything from something just loose on the bike (externally) and having a bit of a rattle to terminal big ends. Will need more to go on.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavey Dave View Post
Not a lot to go on there fella. could be anything from something just loose on the bike (externally) and having a bit of a rattle to terminal big ends. Will need more to go on.
I know The type of sound is something I've never really heard before. It's not a rattle, it's higher pitch and faster more like a buzzing. I wish I had a better way to describe it.

2008 - Shadow Aero 750

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
At first, I thought it was the brakes but when I was testing it yesterday, Iíd pull in the clutch and let off throttle and as I slowed the pitch/frequency of the sound would change with road speed. I tried to tell where it was coming from on the bike but wasnít sure. My guess is that it was either the front/middle. The sound is quiet enough that I canít really hear it over the exhaust so I only noticed when slowing down.
On a safe and straight road...You could try getting up to speed, pulling in the clutch, then killing the engine with the kill switch. Without the engine noise you may be able to locate the area.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
On a safe and straight road...You could try getting up to speed, pulling in the clutch, then killing the engine with the kill switch. Without the engine noise you may be able to locate the area.
Thanks! I'll admit that idea scares the poo out of me! At first I thought it was the front caliper but I'm not sure now...

Suggestions on the speed I should be going?

2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Is your front tire cupped on the edges? Proper 40 PSI air in you tires?

When you do the pull in the clutch at speed test weave from side to side
and see if you notice it more.

Good luck and welcome to VTXOA.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====

Last edited by Jim Travis; 06-07-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Travis View Post
Is your front tire cupped on the edges? Proper 40 PSI air in you tires?

When you do the pull in the clutch at speed test weave from side to side
and see if you notice it more.

Good luck and welcome to VTXOA.
They were good last time I checked but I didn't check last night. I'll check here soon.

The clutch part was mainly because with it in the bike is the quietest when slowing down. It sounds like it's more mechanical and something on the bike than road noise. The roads I took home last night are all very different but the sound was pretty consistent. If I had my full face helmet on I doubt I would have heard it.

2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
Making noise dependent on road speed, if it's not breaks for me next would be to check wheel bearings. If you can lift front of the bike and turn front tire you may be able to tell, or pull the axle and check them.

Others might have some other suggestions.
SeaSteve likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/stock air box - Power Commander III =
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
Suggestions on the speed I should be going?
Get up to a speed fast enough to hear the noise as you coast for several yards, while you try to pin point the location of the sound. Don't let go of the clutch. Try is with NO helmet on and lean side to side. Again, Safety on a clear straight road.

When your done "coasting," hit the start button, shift into the correct gear for the speed and ride away.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"

Last edited by SeaSteve; 06-07-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Press down on the chrome dash on the tank. That makes noise on some of these bikes
rangers4u likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page