FI light comes on, and no speedo - VTXOA
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

FI light comes on, and no speedo

Ok last Thursday the fi light started flickering durning my ride to work. 16mile ride. On the way home the speedo kept cutting out, and the FI light would come on.

I did perform a rolling restart a couple of times, and it worked twice. Then no more speedo, and the FI would come on.

Every thing I read said, battery and ground connections. Also looked for the diagnostic plug ( should be red with 4wires ) couldn’t find it on my ‘06 vtx 1800 n.

I did replace the battery hardware, with new and correct hard ware. It was all wrong (too long a bolt on batt negative with a spacer to fill the gap) checked the grounds I could and they looked good.

The other and only thing that makes sense is that the speed sensor just died, and was possibly going out for a while.

I haven’t dug in as far as the vss wiring and connector yet. But ever bit of research said it was ok to ride, its running in a safe mode.

What says the forum?

06 1800N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

The EFI light comes on, there's a code to tell you what is wrong. Read this link;
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/res...odes-vtx-1800/

And NO, I would not ride it until you fix the code
DrDolittle likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
1800 has a history of VSS failures.
Sometimes no signal, sometimes a crappy signal and you can still go but no speedo/odometer.
The VSS does output +5v pulses(spec) but many seem to be in the 3.7 volts range.

The VSS also has its own dedicated Ground wire at the Common Electronics Ground bolt at the Front Ign coil.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1800 VSS ser man 19-9.png (103.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png 1800 VSS ser man 19-10.png (132.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png 1800 VSS only.png (22.5 KB, 37 views)
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 06-12-2019 at 12:13 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

@Chicago-Spike , no code from FI lamp. I did read and follow bac diag process right up to not being able to find the referenced plug to jump.
@Hans&Feet thank you for the diagrams. Will proceed to check those values when I can. Going to recheck and clean the grounds again.

06 1800N

Last edited by Jadevine; 06-12-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/res...odes-vtx-1800/

Late model 1800 has a 4 Pin RED connector in about the same location.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I understand that there should be a plug, red, with 4 wires. Those wires should have corresponding colors that should match the walkthrough from Bareass, I didn’t find that. There is a red plug with only three wires, that don’t match any suggested color codes mentioned by Bareass.

I’ll pull the seat again and take some pics this afternoon. Maybe my eyes are getting bad? Dunno.

06 1800N
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
If the FI light does not flash code 11 then you can use the Bare method to find a stored code.

I would go after the VSS pulse test.
Many threads on speedo/vss

A video I made many years for pulse count of a wheel rotation for a cruise control unit. Pulses per mile...
Analog meter, two leds on the pulse counter, a cheap digital meter

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 06-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

If the FI light does not flash code 11 then you can use the Bare method to find a stored code.

Ok Hans&Feet. How do I get the FI to display the flashy flashy. I’ve performed the side stand down idle procedure. No code.

I’ve not had success on this front yet.

Based on symptoms and visible faults I surmise that the VSS has been headed south around the time of purchase.

I am going to clean the grounds again.

Thanks for your encouragement and help on this.

06 1800N
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
Read down further in Bare's procedure.
Here is it:
If this procedure fails to generate a code you can search the ECU’s memory for the last code it flashed. Turn the key off and remove the seat. Under the seat locate the ECU service check connector, if you have a pre-04 VTX then you are looking for a 3 pin black plug with 2 wires (green and brown) entering the back (see pic). If it is an 04 or newer VTX then you are looking for a 4 pin red plug with 4 wires (green, brown, green/orange and black/white) and a red snap-on cover.

Neither plug should be plugged into anything.

You can also find additional information and pics about this process on my forums at this link. The information found there is especially important to read if you have the 04+ VTX with the newer red plug.

Using a small piece of wire short out the 2 wires in the connector (use the wire to connect the 2 terminals in the plug). Turn the key on and flip the kill switch (big red button in right switch housing) to the on position. If there is an error code in the ECU’s memory the MIL will start to flash the code as soon as you turn the key on. If there is NOT an error code in the ECU’s memory then the MIL will just light up and stay on.

Once you have an error code you can reference the table below to find out where your problem is.

Short the Green and Brown wires together ONLY.

In the above there is a link to more detailed info..
http://forums.bareasschoppers.com/vi...php?f=86&t=414

BigLarry of California VTX Riders provided that info. A great VTX board.

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 06-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

@Hans&Feet , you sir are awesome. That was the plug, I did wiggle that buss tard out and saw all the wires. Jumpered green to brown.

Hold on now.....

Code 11. One long and one short flash.

I guess I need to redo my ground fix and take it for a ride. As it states engine operates normally with no speedometer.

Oh! That cap is a total pain in the tuckus to get off of there.

Going to get on to the rest of the worky bits later. As I have an emergency run to my sisters place up the coast. No I’m not riding the neo to San Jose. Just the short hops to work and back.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.

06 1800N

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page