Cuttin' out on me?? - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Cuttin' out on me??

Hello everyone! I have a 2003 VTX 1800R with a K&N air filter, DynoJet Power Commander III and Freedom 2 into 1 exhaust. It's always run great (but maybe a little rich). Now when it gets warmed up it is cutting out on me-especially when I get on the highway. I've got almost 14K miles on it now and know it's probably time for valve adjustments and all that. Any advice on what might be going on and/or if it's time to take it to someone who really knows what they're doing (and have to pay for it)! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 PM

First thing is to check your battery terminal connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Use a socket wrench to tighten them.

Has the "ground fix" been done? If not that would be your next step.

Any "Vampire" type wire splices used on the power commander wiring? Those are known to cut through the wires and should be soldered instead.

Hope this helps and keep us posted as to what you find to help others.

You should also update your profile with your bike info then you would not have to type all of it each time you have a question.
rangers4u likes this.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Here is the link for the "ground fix" how to.

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ele...-for-vtx-1800/
rangers4u likes this.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 AM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
Does she fire up and run nicely when cold and cut out when warm/hot?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM

After trying what Jim Travis said, it could be the Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) the first couple years of these beasts are more commonly having this issue, as the little diaphragms in them dry out and crack, a factor of old age, not overuse or misuse. This condition allows fuel to leak into the cylinders and into the crankcase. Located just under the left side of the fuel tank between the jugs, held in place by 2 small bolts, with a couple hoses coming off. $40, + or -, will get you a new one. A telltale sign it's going bad is a strong fuel smell in your oil, or an over-full reading on the dipstick. Don't ride like this- no lube for the bearings. Change the FPR, change your oil filter and oil, using a cheap brand to flush out the contaminants. Run it around the block, then change just the oil a 2nd time using whatever good oil you prefer. Let us know what you find.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
After trying what Jim Travis said, it could be the Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) the first couple years of these beasts are more commonly having this issue, as the little diaphragms in them dry out and crack, a factor of old age, not overuse or misuse. This condition allows fuel to leak into the cylinders and into the crankcase. Located just under the left side of the fuel tank between the jugs, held in place by 2 small bolts, with a couple hoses coming off. $40, + or -, will get you a new one. A telltale sign it's going bad is a strong fuel smell in your oil, or an over-full reading on the dipstick. Don't ride like this- no lube for the bearings. Change the FPR, change your oil filter and oil, using a cheap brand to flush out the contaminants. Run it around the block, then change just the oil a 2nd time using whatever good oil you prefer. Let us know what you find.
You're right, if it's running really rich, possibly the FPR, but that does not at all explain the cutting out. A failed FPR won't have the bike cutting out on the freeway.

Based on what he's described, I would point in the direction of the PCIII.
rangers4u likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Reading about the FPR for the n-th time.

I have a 2003 1800s, 91,000 miles, no problems whatsoever.
Is the FPR a part that is guaranteed to break and therefore should be proactively replaced?
Or just leave alone?

2003 1800s, 88k miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdb View Post

Is the FPR a part that is guaranteed to break and therefore should be proactively replaced?
Or just leave alone?

let me say.. if you do have the original FPR.. you hold the record...
time and mileage...

for the cutting out...
side stand switch...

run/stop switch
and there wires..
even the key switch..
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdb View Post

Or just leave alone?
Yes, they fail due to age, not mileage. So replace it if it hasn't been already
rangers4u likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
let me say.. if you do have the original FPR.. you hold the record...
time and mileage...

Record holder?

You have a point here, I bought this 2003 in 2010, with only 14k miles on it.
It is therefore possible that it already had been replaced by then, so no 'record'.
rangers4u likes this.

2003 1800s, 88k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page