Yet Another Electrical Issue post - VTXOA
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet
  • 1 Post By Dirge

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Yet Another Electrical Issue post

Folks, any insight would be gratefully appreciated. I have a 2002 1800R that I purchased from Whitlow on this very forum. Until now, it has been exceptionally reliable. A week ago, while rushing to an appointment, I left the key in the on position for approximately an hour. I ran the eight year old battery down and the bike would not start. I bump started it and rode it home about three miles. I immediately put the battery on the charger and let it charge overnight. The indicator suggested the battery was fully charged. When I turn the key in the ignition, the headlight and neutral indicator come on. There is also the customary "whirring sound" that accompanies the ignition engagement. However, when I depress the starter button, the headlight dims but the starter does not engage. The starter does not seem to be getting power. This is what I have done:
1. Scoured the forum and looked at a range of advice (including most recent posts); reviewed the manual and followed the troubleshooting
2. Checked all connections to ensure they were tight and clean; this includes the starter relay
3. Cleaned the starter switch and carefully reassembled; checked it a second time to ensure I reassembled it correctly
4. Checked the 4P connector, it looks fine
5. Checked the starter motor 10A fuse; it looked fine but I replaced it as a precaution
6. Replaced the battery and ensured the new battery was fully charged, again as a precaution and because the battery was 8 years old

I am not at the end of my technical skills. Did I burn up the starter relay switch when I left the key in the on position for an hour? It is not clicking when the starter button is pushed. Is there something else I have missed? Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Riding and loving my first X (formerly Whitlow's); 2002 1800R; P4 intake; Vance and Hines Bigshots with Thunder Monster baffles; Chrome: rims, engine covers, rear brake reservoir, radiator cover, rear frame covers, lowers, and drive shaft cover; Pullback handlebars with internal wiring; Kuri mirrors, turn signals, and grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 PM

You need to test with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) at the relay to see if you're getting a start signal from the switch

Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
You need to test with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) at the relay to see if you're getting a start signal from the switch
Thanks Jon. I will seek to borrow a DVOM and will bypass the switch completely by running a line directly from the battery to the starter to see if that works.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
I had a battery go open once. Cranked up at the house, 50 miles away on a restart no crank.
It had headlight and other lights, died when starter button pushed.
Recycled IGN switch, headlights on... push starter button > nothing.

Interested if the battery is going open. A test light on the battery would work to some degree.

Put the X in NEUTRAL---verify, then place a screwdriver across the bolts of the Starter Relay.
The large cables are +12v battery lead and Starter motor.
It may create arcs & sparks and if you are lucky the starter motor will jump to life and crank the engine.

NO arcs and sparks, no sound = open battery or open cables.
Dirge likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated! I have a friend coming over this afternoon who has infinitely more experience than do I and am hoping we'll get this figured out today.

Riding and loving my first X (formerly Whitlow's); 2002 1800R; P4 intake; Vance and Hines Bigshots with Thunder Monster baffles; Chrome: rims, engine covers, rear brake reservoir, radiator cover, rear frame covers, lowers, and drive shaft cover; Pullback handlebars with internal wiring; Kuri mirrors, turn signals, and grips.

Last edited by Dirge; 06-20-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

"8 year old battery...."

There's your problem, battery is way past it's born on date and they typically last 4-5 years tops. Once you ran the old battery down to nothing, you killed what life it had left in it. Now it may say it is charged, but it will not hold enough power to crank.

PS......start shutting your bike down with the key as Honda designed and tells you in the owners manual to do so. This way, you never forget the key

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
"8 year old battery...."

There's your problem, battery is way past it's born on date and they typically last 4-5 years tops. Once you ran the old battery down to nothing, you killed what life it had left in it. Now it may say it is charged, but it will not hold enough power to crank.

PS......start shutting your bike down with the key as Honda designed and tells you in the owners manual to do so. This way, you never forget the key
He said he has a new battery
6. Replaced the battery and ensured the new battery was fully charged, again as a precaution and because the battery was 8 years old

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

My friend, who worked professionally for a decade as a Honda mechanic, just went through the electrical system. Most everything tested out but both the switch and the solenoid were inconsistent electrically. Given both are original, relatively inexpensive and for simplicity sake he recommends replacing both the switch and the solenoid.
Dr.FeeLGooD likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
"8 year old battery...."

Great advice, Spike. I have always used the kill switch and had not forgotten the key in the ignition until this recent incident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page