Want to install ape hangers - VTXOA
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Chicago-Spike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Want to install ape hangers

My bars are too low and being a bigger guy this isn't comfortable. I've decided that I want to install 16 inch ape hangers with 2 inch risers and that will put my hands at the same height as my shoulders. I found a relocation kit for my speedometer but I'm having trouble finding a ape hanger cable/brake line kit for my 2003 vtx1800c, if anyone knows where I can get the kit you would definitely be a lifesaver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

There is no kit, you will have to mock it all up and order the lengths you need and make the wires yourself.

If you want the job to look like it belongs on the bike, you should do what is called a "Mock-up". Meaning, you get the bars and install them and place them in the position you will be riding with them. Then mount all the controls, grips, switch housings, throttle, brake master cylinder and clutch lever on the bars(without the cables/hoses/wires attached)
Now take a solid core wire and use that wire to make your brake hose by taping the wire to the brake master cylinder and run it to where the stock line attaches to. Tape it in place there and then get on the bike and move the bars from lock to lock and make sure the wire does not stretch or bind up. When you have it in a good position, then mark the wire and measure it from the marks. NOW you can order that brake hose. Repeat this for each cable/hose you need to custom order. Why all this? Because;
A. Once you order a custom part, it is yours, no returns
B. You want it to look good on the bike and not have droopy wires/cables/hoses

For the electrical wires, just be sure to stagger your splice cuts. If you cut them all in the same spot, you end up with a HUGE bump in the wire loom from all the wire splice connectors being in that same spot. Looks like a snake that just swallowed a rabbit = not pretty

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page