What size is this plug? - VTXOA
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

What size is this plug?

Does anyone here know that exact size / dimensions of the upper plug on the shaft drive? It's stripped and I want to know what to ask for when I go get it replaced.
also, if anyone has a best practice on how to get it remove that would be helpful as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190719_090408_1563547195233.jpg (197.6 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I got the part number and I checked on Amazon. I'm struggling to understand why I simple plug is almost $50?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190719-112132_Amazon Shopping_1563549867221.jpg (113.4 KB, 10 views)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM

That plug is specific to the OEM. You can't replace it with anything but. It is super easy to over torque this and break the threads off. It does not need to be much more than finger tight. Check with the local Honda stealer first. Buying out of the US won't be worth it for such a small item, unless you intend to buy a lot more stuff. I'm not sure how someone messed up the head on yours as this plug gets relatively low torques. I think the spec on that is 7ft/lbs, but you should double check that.
**EDIT**
Just saw Spike's link to Bareass, where the torque is spec'd at 9ft/lbs (108in/lbs).

Ask for the final drive filler plug. To get yours out, vice grips are a good bet, it should not be that tight unless someone put some thread locker on it or something silly like that.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 07-19-2019 at 12:33 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

17mm

It should come off relatively easy because it isn't supposed to be torqued to heavy as they will break easily. See this for more;
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/dri...nal-drive-oil/

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Surprisingly I contacted the Honda dealership and it's only about $14. I think this is the first time in recent memory the dealership was cheaper than Amazon plus I have more peace of mind that it is an oem part
not sure how I'm going to take this one off though. Maybe I'll have to use a Dremel and an impact driver.

thanks for posting that link, although I have done this job before it's always refreshing to look at it. The only question I had though is, when I refill the oil I always had someone sit on the bike and hold it up straight while I fill l in the oil as opposed to having it on its side stand.
does that mean all this time I have been over feeling at? Is that really detrimental?
Harkon likes this.

Last edited by Mrjo1340; 07-19-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
A 17mm 6 point socket would probably take it off.
Low torque because an o-ring does the sealing.

The Amazon was a ripoff..
06VTXRJim, Harkon and jackk like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,882 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-19-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
Surprisingly I contacted the Honda dealership and it's only about $14. I think this is the first time in recent memory the dealership was cheaper than Amazon plus I have more peace of mind that it is an oem part
not sure how I'm going to take this one off though. Maybe I'll have to use a Dremel and an impact driver.

thanks for posting that link, although I have done this job before it's always refreshing to look at it. The only question I had though is, when I refill the oil I always had someone sit on the bike and hold it up straight while I fill l in the oil as opposed to having it on its side stand.
does that mean all this time I have been over feeling at? Is that really detrimental?
Careful about using anything impact. It is brittle so busting it up will almost certainly result in a bigger mess. Over filling it isn't a problem, only that it may blow some excess out the breather and make a bit of a mess. Seriously, try a vice grip, or 6 point socket if possible, and instead of impacting it, slow and steady pressure. There is an o-ring that is compressed and impact will flex the o-ring as opposed to unseating it. Using a hammer on these parts is not a good thing.

You have a couple of ideal ideas at this point, if you choose to go after this with a hammer, expect to hear "I told you so"
When I suggest a vice grip I am suggesting you clamp straight on, not from the side, and twist the grips. It shouldn't be that tight.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 07-19-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
I have been adding an extra ounce of oil since whenever. PLUS a dollop of moly paste.
I have two blocks that fit nicely under the foot peg to hold it vertical.
Never a problem.

Someone else was the originator many years ago.
Harkon and rangers4u like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,882 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-19-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: more oil + moly
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

As long as there is no detrimental effects from adding a little extra oil I'm more comfortable doing so.
Even with my engine oil I know the manual calls for 3.67 litersbut I always put exactly 3.7 liters.
I know if engine oil if you overfill it too much you're more than likely going to have a problem. So I make sure I'm very specific with that
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

If it were overfilled to cause trouble, it would just come out the vent cap and make a mess.
skeeter69392 likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page