AGM Battery - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

AGM Battery

Last April I replaced the starter solenoid in my 1800 F and I am in the process of modifying another Ford type solenoid for my 1800 S. Both solenoids were stuck in the closed position. Normally I keep the bike on a maintainer and the problem occurred after I'd ridden the bike and parked it for a while. So I wondered if the battery lost its charge quickly when the bike was parked without being connected to a maintainer.

When I got home, I fully charged the battery (steady green light on maintainer) and then disconnect it. One week later, before I started to remove the old solenoid, I checked the battery voltage. It measured 12.82 volts. The AGM battery holds its charge well. I won't go back to flooded lead acid batteries.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
When was the last time you bought a flooded lead acid battery?
OEM battery IS an AGM.

For a MC last "flab" was previous to my VTX.

My lawnmower has been using my old weak VTX batteries. I purchased an AGM for the mower this spring.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-21-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 PM

My VTX came with an AGM battery in it when I bought it June 2013. P O bought the battery in April 2009. Never had a problem with it. I don't keep it on a maintainer but I ride it year round, it never sits more than 2 weeks in the winter w/o a good ride, usually no more than a week depending on weather. Going on 11 years on it now, not sure how long it will last or if it die suddenly or slowly.

2003 VTX 1800R

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post
Last April I replaced the starter solenoid in my 1800 F and I am in the process of modifying another Ford type solenoid for my 1800 S. Both solenoids were stuck in the closed position. Normally I keep the bike on a maintainer and the problem occurred after I'd ridden the bike and parked it for a while. So I wondered if the battery lost its charge quickly when the bike was parked without being connected to a maintainer.

When I got home, I fully charged the battery (steady green light on maintainer) and then disconnect it. One week later, before I started to remove the old solenoid, I checked the battery voltage. It measured 12.82 volts. The AGM battery holds its charge well. I won't go back to flooded lead acid batteries.

I just replaced my AGM battery on my AT, just got 5 years but the dealer told me if I had been running it a battery maintainer it should last 8 years! I replaced my battery on the VTX 1800r with an AGM also so this spring, I guess it will go on a maintainer over our long never ending winters from now on.
I also switch the Kill Switch to off when I am not riding for awhile just to make sure nothing can draw power from the battery also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSill View Post
I just replaced my AGM battery on my AT, just got 5 years but the dealer told me if I had been running it a battery maintainer it should last 8 years! I replaced my battery on the VTX 1800r with an AGM also so this spring, I guess it will go on a maintainer over our long never ending winters from now on.
I also switch the Kill Switch to off when I am not riding for awhile just to make sure nothing can draw power from the battery also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never thought to switch off the kill switch to better isolate the battery from the bike. I will do that the next time I store it for the winter while it's on the maintainer.

I have had AGM batteries fail while on maintainers. Also had one fail in less than two years on the Prius. I guess there are rotten apples in every barrel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page