• 2 Post By Chicago-Spike
  • 1 Post By pushrod

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Need advise please

Need some advise
First off my bike is a 03 vtx 1800c
And I'm having a couple issues

1) when I change gears and let out on my clutch lever the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is all most all the way released, so I just need to think about getting a new clutch or is there an adjustment I can make or is this normal.

2)when my bike gets warmed up when I'm out riding and if I come to a stop light and shift to neutral it doesn't want to go back into 1st, I have to kick the shifter arm a couple times pretty good before it will go into gear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcam1977 View Post
Need some advise
First off my bike is a 03 vtx 1800c
And I'm having a couple issues

1) when I change gears and let out on my clutch lever the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is all most all the way released, so I just need to think about getting a new clutch or is there an adjustment I can make or is this normal.
It's normal and there's no adjustment the clutch is hydraulic and self adjusting like the brakes in your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcam1977 View Post
2)when my bike gets warmed up when I'm out riding and if I come to a stop light and shift to neutral it doesn't want to go back into 1st, I have to kick the shifter arm a couple times pretty good before it will go into gear

2 things you can do. Shift into 1st before coming to a stop(you should be in first gear at stoplights for safety anyhow ) 2 let the lever out a little bit and gently tap the lever into first. Never stomp you'll just bend the lever or worse the shifter arm
Harkon and DrDolittle like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 PM

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ and clean and lube the pivot point on your shifter
Curt E likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
It's normal and there's no adjustment the clutch is hydraulic and self adjusting like the brakes in your car
When I had mine in for service, they replaced the fluid like you would for the breaks. The old fluid was much darker than whats in there now and my clutch feels much better. You should be able to see the color of the fluid and if it's darker you may want to get it replaced. (Mine was a medium tea color)

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
I added my response in the other thread you have. I hope you get it sorted!

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post

2 things you can do. Shift into 1st before coming to a stop(you should be in first gear at stoplights for safety anyhow ) 2 let the lever out a little bit and gently tap the lever into first. Never stomp you'll just bend the lever or worse the shifter arm
Whenever I'm approaching a stop light or sign I usually do down shift through the gears to slow down and just keep it in first until I take back off again, but would like to be able to use neutral sometimes when my hand get to cramping up from being in alot of stop and go traffic, I am already planning on bleeding the clutch and getting some fresh fluid in the system to see if that helps as others have suggested, and I will grease the attachment points for the shifter linkage as well

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
When I had mine in for service, they replaced the fluid like you would for the breaks. The old fluid was much darker than whats in there now and my clutch feels much better. You should be able to see the color of the fluid and if it's darker you may want to get it replaced. (Mine was a medium tea color)

Check the color in the site glass on the reservoir and also the fluid level. I would start with changing the fluid first.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Follow JR's advice. I'm an automotive mechanic (first to to NO SIR, NO SIR when it comes to drivetrain "hard parts" i.e. valve adjustment or transmission on bikes) and although autos are driven differently the basics remain the same. Think about everytime you pull and release the lever that fluid is flowing under app. 200PS so it as with any liquid it heats up. Plus even though it's a "sealed system" it WILL draw moisture. Combine the 2 and the fluid breaks down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Stupid auto-correct. JT's suggestion. LoL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page