Balancing beads vs. Weights? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Old Goat

Geezus what happened to thumbnails...

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Ride-On... Love it. With or without the weights till I take them off. I will use it as long as I have tires on the bike.
rangers4u and nate6966 like this.

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSill View Post
Keep us informed on Dunlop Elite 4 as I am thinking of them for the next set to get me to the Sturgis 80th and back.
I am using balance beads in my front Avon Cobra's for the first time but did really notice a difference from weights accept no crappy weights on the rim! We will see what I get for mileage.
Using Ride-On Tire Balancer & Sealant in the rear Cobra (seems to work fine) but I am finding the last couple of Cobra's (on the rear) just are not getting the mileage I am used to, that's why I have an interest in the Elite 4!
I never had very good mileage out the Metzler's on the VTX, cupped badly on the rear and not that great on mileage either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just replaced a set of Dunlop Elite 4s on a 1300 C with new Elite 4s. I ran beads in them with no problems, no weights on the wheels, no cupping of tires. I ran 40 psi front and rear. I only got 19,500 miles on rear tire, 9,000 of those miles pulling a 350# trailer. Front tire probably has another 7-10,000 miles left. I will leave it mounted as a spare. It's great having an extra set of wheels!!!
rangers4u and BobSill like this.

2007 1300 C Metallic Cabernet----34, 513 miles when purchased 09/2015
Now----92,365 miles
2007 1300 C Black----4,506 miles when purchased 12-31-2016
now----27,068 miles

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
So since y'all are heavily in favor of ride-on, where does one purchase it? Locally? Vamazon? Dealers?
I for example tried searching on Revzilla and came up empty. Maybe I searched wrong but I thought I'd ask y'all experienced folks.

VTX 1800C
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
So since y'all are heavily in favor of ride-on, where does one purchase it? Locally? Vamazon? Dealers?
I for example tried searching on Revzilla and came up empty. Maybe I searched wrong but I thought I'd ask y'all experienced folks.
Got mine on Fleabay. Just be sure you get recommended amount and the mixture for motorcycles. Different formulas for different applications.

https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/dosa...structions.pdf

Red '04 1300C, Corbin DT, Hondaline WS and backrest, 1300R bars w/TM risers and Iso grips and Brakeaway, Cobra Slashdowns, Foot's Mod, buffed wheels, Progressive fork springs, PaPa's Down Under bracket ....

Last edited by Oldude1; 07-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude1 View Post
Got mine on Fleabay. Just be sure you get recommended amount and the mixture for motorcycles. Different formulas for different applications.

https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/dosa...structions.pdf
Thank you.
Yes, I already checked how much sealant I need for each tire and will be purchasing the right amount.

What is the magic behind their mysterious balancing properties? Why buy Ride-On and not a competitors' sealant for 1/2 the price? I never understood their self-balancing claims. If their liquid does it, won't other liquid sealants? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I like to have as much input as I can gather before making an informed decision. And I tend to question usual myths, OWTs etc.
nate6966 likes this.

VTX 1800C
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you.

Yes, I already checked how much sealant I need for each tire and will be purchasing the right amount.

What is the magic behind their mysterious balancing properties? Why buy Ride-On and not a competitors' sealant for 1/2 the price? I never understood their self-balancing claims. If their liquid does it, won't other liquid sealants? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I like to have as much input as I can gather before making an informed decision. And I tend to question usual myths, OWTs etc.
My two cents -
Ride-On is gelatinous (not liquid like the green slime crap). While it shifts to actively keep balancing the tire, it doesn't all sink to the bottom of the tire very quickly. Nor does it spill all over when you change tires. It is biodegradable which makes it a non issue to wash it down a drain or onto the ground for clean up. It is non-corrosive so it will not damage wheels, even aluminum wheels.

I love it. My tire guy doesn't mind it while he will refuse service to customers who use green slime.

I buy mine off Amazon, but I see it frequently at power sport shops.
JAT and rangers4u like this.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Why not just buy it online? I seem to make a pilgrimage every year once or twice to Iron Pony Motorsports in Westerville, Oh., and I usually grab 3 bottles while there. I use 2 full 8 oz.'ers in my darkside rear, and a full bottle in my Dunny Elite 4 front. Hint: I have stainless steel 90* valve stems, and the tip of the Ride-On bottle at its smallest opening doesn't go into the stem. I experimented, and found the larger cone shaped tip from a tube of RTV silicone works just fine as a 'funnel' to get all of the R-O in the tire w/o making a mess. All of the goo won't come out the first time you squeeze it in, so I recommend propping the bottle tip-down with the cap on, so it all settles into the tip, then get that last oz. or so out. Just like a ketchup bottle it will settle out.
BobSill likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Last edited by rangers4u; 07-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:34 PM

J&P has it, my local Honda dealer does too
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:17 PM

I have used dyna beads for years. It keeps the tire balanced throughout the life of the tire. I have over 130,000 on my 09 so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page