Balancing beads vs. Weights? - Page 3 - VTXOA
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
Why not just buy it online? I seem to make a pilgrimage every year once or twice to Iron Pony Motorsports in Westerville, Oh., and I usually grab 3 bottles while there. I use 2 full 8 oz.'ers in my darkside rear, and a full bottle in my Dunny Elite 4 front. Hint: I have stainless steel 90* valve stems, and the tip of the Ride-On bottle at its smallest opening doesn't go into the stem. I experimented, and found the larger cone shaped tip from a tube of RTV silicone works just fine as a 'funnel' to get all of the R-O in the tire w/o making a mess. All of the goo won't come out the first time you squeeze it in, so I recommend propping the bottle tip-down with the cap on, so it all settles into the tip, then get that last oz. or so out. Just like a ketchup bottle it will settle out.
Just curious, do you pull the valve-stem out of the valve to get the Ride-On in ? I know it works great but have yet to use it myself.

2003 VTX 1800R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:50 PM
JAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Just curious, do you pull the valve-stem out of the valve to get the Ride-On in ? I know it works great but have yet to use it myself.
Yes, got mine from Amazon. Comes with valve core removal tool and a small length of tubing. Super simple to
install. I soaked the bottles in hot water for about 20 minutes first. Was a little chilly in the garage that day.
rangers4u, pushrod and nate6966 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jim: 04 VTX1800R spec 3, Candy Black Cherry, Hondaline windshield/
saddle bags/backrest, Mustang Seat
1 1/2 fatty hwy bars, hwy pegs,
Cyclecraft Tach, Breakaway, Chrome tips.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM

You let the air out before putting the R-O in, and valve gut removal is the approved method.
nate6966 likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
I have been using them for years. The only issue is you have to be careful not to get any water in the tire or they will clump. They work very well. I do it mainly because I do my own tire changes and I don't need to get them balanced. I love Dunlop tires also. I get really good mileage out of them.... 15k . BTW using dynabeads are supposed to extend the life of the tire as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
02 VTX1800R / Vance&Hines Big Shots / K&N / PCIII / Stebel Air Horn / Cobra Freeway Bars/ SIK-LITES/ Baron 4" Risers / Hondaline Custom LightBar/ Kuryakyn'n up /Reckless Motorcycle Fairing/ Mutazu RS Hardbags/ Spike filter/ Ultimate X seats.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:05 PM
JPT

Garage
Valve stem - In order to remove, you have to break the bead.

Valve core - This can be removed while the valve stem is in place.

To add ride-on, you simply unscrew the valve core (the air will come out the tire), squeeze the bottle into the valve stem (with core removed), shoot some air in the valve stem (with core still out) to clean out the stem of Ride On, replace core, refill with air, and then ride for 10+ minutes to get it to set in the tire.
nate6966 likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM

I've changed a lot of motorcycle tires over the years.

Most of them never went on the balancing stand.

Can't remember any of them that performed weird, or wore funny.

If anything, we balanced the wheel, without the tire. After that, if the tire is far enough out of balance to cause a problem, then it's a bad tire.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page