Balancing beads vs. Weights? - VTXOA
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Balancing beads vs. Weights?

So I recently replaced my front tire with Dunlop Elite 4"s. I opted to go with balancing beads because I heard great things about them. My back tire hasn't been changed yet as there still lots of life on it as I have a metzeler Marathon 888 with regular balancing weights on it.
Personally, I feel no different with the balancing beads but I wanted some of you to weigh in if this is the better option to go? Some of told me I should be getting longer Tire life and others even claimed that I should notice better performance.
So if anyone can chime in the pros and cons or long-term benefits it'll be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM

I have used them in my last (5) tires and am very happy with them. Bike runs fine and I don't have marks or sticky magnets on my rims. I will keep using them. Note, some shops wont use them and others will.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Never tried beads. My Metz rear wears out too fast as is...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Old Goat

I had been using the beads...but found out they were clumping due to water in my compressor air...so last tire was weights and there chrome so no biggie...good luck
Curt E likes this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Balancing beads vs. Weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
So I recently replaced my front tire with Dunlop Elite 4"s. I opted to go with balancing beads because I heard great things about them. My back tire hasn't been changed yet as there still lots of life on it as I have a metzeler Marathon 888 with regular balancing weights on it.
Personally, I feel no different with the balancing beads but I wanted some of you to weigh in if this is the better option to go? Some of told me I should be getting longer Tire life and others even claimed that I should notice better performance.
So if anyone can chime in the pros and cons or long-term benefits it'll be greatly appreciated.

Keep us informed on Dunlop Elite 4 as I am thinking of them for the next set to get me to the Sturgis 80th and back.
I am using balance beads in my front Avon Cobra's for the first time but did really notice a difference from weights accept no crappy weights on the rim! We will see what I get for mileage.
Using Ride-On Tire Balancer & Sealant in the rear Cobra (seems to work fine) but I am finding the last couple of Cobra's (on the rear) just are not getting the mileage I am used to, that's why I have an interest in the Elite 4!
I never had very good mileage out the Metzler's on the VTX, cupped badly on the rear and not that great on mileage either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by BobSill; 07-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM

+1 on the Ride-On. Internal balancing and flat insurance in a bottle. I have the Elite 4, for a year or more now, but less than 2K on it due to wet weather last year, and having knee replacement this spring. I'm now able to ride, but getting strength back in the joint has left me catching up to home maintenance and less than 100 mi. on the bike so far this year.
nate6966 and Blaine C like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
+1 on the Ride-On. Internal balancing and flat insurance in a bottle.
I agree with Ranger. I used the beads on my first replacement tires with no external weights and had no problems. I decided to try Ride-On on the next set for the possible sealing benefit and luckily I have so far not needed that property. The ride is smooth as silk, no vibration.
rangers4u, nate6966 and Blaine C like this.

Red '04 1300C, Corbin DT, Hondaline WS and backrest, 1300R bars w/TM risers and Iso grips and Brakeaway, Cobra Slashdowns, Foot's Mod, buffed wheels, Progressive fork springs, PaPa's Down Under bracket ....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:33 PM

Garage
I'm a HUGE fan of Ride-On
rangers4u likes this.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
That's O. K. You should not, unless there was a problem with weight balanced wheel.
Longer tire life? Don't think so. Better performance? What kind?
BTW, beads will keep your wheels balance for the entire life of the tire, weights won't.

VTX 1800/280
You can say anything stupid. It's the internet. No real consequences for YOU.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM
JPT

Garage
Ride-on... I will always use this on my motorcycles, and probably even my trailers.

I think it saved me when I had a blowout at 65-70 mph. It gave me enough time to safely pull over before it started leaking. One of the Rideon VPs said if I had kept riding it would have probably held until I got home, but said I did the safe responsible thing and stopped.

Once I stopped it started leaking.

Hole in tire:

The inside of the removed tire with Rideon:
rangers4u and nate6966 like this.

2009 VTX1300R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page