Desmog - Page 2 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
Hey I don't mean to be so ignorant. My 2008 1800 VTX has a PCIII. Do I need a desmog kit? and Why? I get 38 MPG no popping on de-cel.
Ted

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedlyM59 View Post
Hey I don't mean to be so ignorant. My 2008 1800 VTX has a PCIII. Do I need a desmog kit? and Why? I get 38 MPG no popping on de-cel.
Ted
I plan to do mine sometime in the coming couple of weeks. I am only doing mine because removing my PCIII has caused a few issues like crappy sound exhaust, and exhaust popping when I decelerate. I do like the extra MPG's im getting but would prefer for it to sound better and run smoother.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Ted
You do not NEED to desmog. Some have said they have little to no popping after removing all the junk, but that didn't happen for me. Changing exhaust gaskets did that for me. Getting rid of all that junk makes for a cleaner looking engine, makes it easier to access the valves for adjustments, and if you dress up your ride with some lights or such it makes the shiny stuff visible. Besides shedding a few pounds too.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Ted
Here, read this;

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/eng...x-1800-desmog/

AMA Life Member 721314
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:07 PM

If I was not having some issues that this may correct I wouldn't be doing the mod. I don't like fixing things that are not broken.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 07-30-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
Well thanks Mike and Spike for the link for the Desmog and secondary air system removal. Well I guess I have some work to do. Oh yes order the parts first.

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:58 AM

I got my desmog kit yesterday. When my grandson leaves for the summer I'll have some time to put it in.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
If I was not having some issues that this may correct I wouldn't be doing the mod. I don't like fixing things that are not broken.
Ummm, this won't correct any issues at all with the running of the engine??? As the PAIR system is after the combustion chambers, it will not effect how the engine is running. All this really will do is clean up the top of the cylinders to make more room for valve inspections and it might decrease the amount of deceleration popping.

So what issues are you having that need addressing?
rangers4u likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Ummm, this won't correct any issues at all with the running of the engine??? As the PAIR system is after the combustion chambers, it will not effect how the engine is running. All this really will do is clean up the top of the cylinders to make more room for valve inspections and it might decrease the amount of deceleration popping.

So what issues are you having that need addressing?
1. popping on decel after the engine has warmed up, it doesn't do it cold
2. At low speed, trying to hold the throttle at the place where its a steady speed, neither accelerating or decelerating but holding a steady speed anywhere between 25 to 45 mph, the engine coughs, sputters, lurches, surges and the exhaust will be popping. Any slight increase or decrease in throttle at all and the engine smooths out, so I have to continually speed up slightly, then slow down, the speed up slightly again. As long as I am accelerating or decelerating even slightly it is smooth. Once I am up to 50 mph or faster it's smooth.

My PCiii started giving me problems a while back so I went back to the OEM setup and that's when it all started.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 08-02-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page