Will This Clutch Master Cylinder Work? - VTXOA
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Will This Clutch Master Cylinder Work?

Received my new brake and clutch master cylinders today and compared them to the originals...

The brake master cylinder appears to be an exact duplicate of the original on the bike.
The clutch master cylinder however, does NOT appear to be a duplicate of the original on the bike. Instead, it appears to be an exact mirror of the brake master cylinder. This includes the wiring hookup.

I kind of don't see why not, but I'm kind of worried too.
Should I be???

Thanks in advance for your words of knowledge and wisdom.
Long live the VTXOA!

"It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to." - icopus
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Last edited by icopus; 07-30-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

OK, I'll be the first to say "No way in hell would I ever use these" $32 for a clutch master AND brake master???!!!!! So $15 bucks each!! No country of origin, no UPC to track any of this cheap Chinese junk or trace them by your lawyers when they fail on you. and you're going to put this on one of the world leaders of braking systems and hope that is works? You'r right to think it's an exact mirror image, probably because all they did was flip the CAD design in the computer and pop out a mirror copy and hit "Execute" on the machine. I'm sorry, but this is one area I wouldn't be saving myself $100 I'd buy Honda OEM spec masters clutch at $85 and new brake master at $78 from Partzilla
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...aster-cylinder
TennX, ervin260, Harkon and 3 others like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 AM
Old Goat

Always go with
oem
when u can ........
rangers4u and BobSill like this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 07-31-2019 at 10:15 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
OK, I'll be the first to say "No way in hell would I ever use these" $32 for a clutch master AND brake master???!!!!! So $15 bucks each!! No country of origin, no UPC to track any of this cheap Chinese junk or trace them by your lawyers when they fail on you. and you're going to put this on one of the world leaders of braking systems and hope that is works? You'r right to think it's an exact mirror image, probably because all they did was flip the CAD design in the computer and pop out a mirror copy and hit "Execute" on the machine. I'm sorry, but this is one area I wouldn't be saving myself $100 I'd buy Honda OEM spec masters clutch at $85 and new brake master at $78 from Partzilla
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...aster-cylinder
This is exactly what I was thinking, when I wrote " If you are lucky, it will work on the 1800 (at least for a few weeks )." in his other thread.

VTX 1800/280
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Yeah, sorry brother, but I'm gonna agree with the general warnings here. Could be they last for years, or minutes. No way to tell, and they may not fail with a great deal of warning. They do look purrrdy though. For that kind of money, I would expect junk.
ervin260 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the concern and I thank you.
Well, they look and feel great. I have had much success with other after market parts, mostly the cages, but I think this is worth the shot. Really, they look and feel high quality.
I'm going to do the clutch side this weekend. I'll ride several weeks, and if it's good, I'll do the front brake side next.
Y'all want updates on this? lol.

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:34 PM

You are asking for advice on this forum and everybody tells you to buy a replacement part for your clutch master cylinder but you dont listen. So why are you on this forum?

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (new)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icopus View Post
I appreciate the concern and I thank you.
Well, they look and feel great. I have had much success with other after market parts, mostly the cages, but I think this is worth the shot. Really, they look and feel high quality.
I'm going to do the clutch side this weekend. I'll ride several weeks, and if it's good, I'll do the front brake side next.
Y'all want updates on this? lol.
Yes, post back please, good or bad.
icopus likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastspek View Post
You are asking for advice on this forum and everybody tells you to buy a replacement part for your clutch master cylinder but you dont listen. So why are you on this forum?
Firstly, the camaraderie and the fellowship.
Secondly, the knowledge, experience, advise, and instruction.
Thirdly, the humor.

In this case, I ordered the parts before thinking I should seek advise on this forum. After receiving them and noticing the difference, belatedly, I posted this question.

From the greatest and most knowledgeable on this forum, I have gotten their opinions. But I've not heard of any experience with these parts, first hand or otherwise. Therefore, the parts are unproven.

The fear, of course, is that these parts are inferior to OEM. Without first hand experience, nobody knows. And the unknown is feared. The reasons for and how much of that fear is founded is debatable. Much like going Darkside, I imagine.

Therefore, in this case, I will step up and be the guinea pig to find out if these parts are sound and worth saving 2/3rd+ the OEM $$$. This is why I asked if I should update. Apparently not. As I'm writing this, there's not been any replies to that question. I may update anyway and hope someone benefits from my or .

And in there, we may find the humor aspect to the forum as well. Hopefully NOT!

So you see, I'm doing my part to give everyone the whole VTXOA experience.
Blaine C likes this.

Last edited by icopus; 08-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Yes, post back please, good or bad.
Will do then. Thank you.
It's a unique situation when I can offer up a previously unposted experience.
It may not be this weekend after all. But I will update afterwards whenever that is.

Last edited by icopus; 08-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page