03 1800R lost rear brakes. Front brakes are good. - VTXOA
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By drperry
  • 1 Post By BobSill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to fxdave
03 1800R lost rear brakes. Front brakes are good.

03 1800R lost rear brakes has been sitting a few months Front brakes are good ? went to ride and all i had was front any ideas Why ive lost all my pedal ? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 PM

Bleed brakes. If fluid is old or dark, change it out. Strong likelihood thatís all you will need.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Bam

Same thing happened to me today

OP.... did the fluid change help your issue? The exact same thing happened to me. Brakes were fine 3 days ago. Today there was no pedal pressure build up at all.

03 1800 C Candy Orange, Rineharts, Thunder Tornado, PC111, Mustang seat, Kury grips and pegs, 06 mirrors, Chrome shaft and swing arm cover, and a few other pieces of chrome.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:32 PM

How's the fluid level in the rear brake reservoir?
pushrod likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Bam

It is full. No leaks anywhere. it will be the weekend before I can dig into it. Just trying to get some ideas as where to start. are all synthetic brake fluid created equally or is there one everyone seams to be using and having great success with?

03 1800 C Candy Orange, Rineharts, Thunder Tornado, PC111, Mustang seat, Kury grips and pegs, 06 mirrors, Chrome shaft and swing arm cover, and a few other pieces of chrome.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
03 1800R lost rear brakes has been sitting a few months Front brakes are good ? went to ride and all i had was front any ideas Why ive lost all my pedal ? thanks

You would wise to be changing out that brake fluid every couple of years. Also I think someone brought this up before, this is a
Linked Brake system and there is a very specific method to bleed these brakes properly not just your stand bleed and fill method!
I have always had my dealer do that job on my R model and she is still running fine at 133,500 km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 AM
Bam

Apparently my fluid just broke down. It was 3 years old so. I flushed out all the old, refilled the reservoirs with new and bleed them off now my brakes work just like new. Just blows my mind they were fine one day and literally three days later the rear did not work at all. I used the synthetic valvoline premium dry brake fluid this time so I'll see how it does.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam View Post
Apparently my fluid just broke down. It was 3 years old so. I flushed out all the old, refilled the reservoirs with new and bleed them off now my brakes work just like new. Just blows my mind they were fine one day and literally three days later the rear did not work at all. I used the synthetic valvoline premium dry brake fluid this time so I'll see how it does.

I know what you mean, years ago with 1500 SE Kaw, I was riding over to the dealer and about 300 yards from the dealer touched the rear brake pedal and the rear brake locked up. Had to rebuild the rear master cylinder and that's when they said I should be changing the brake fluid every couple of years! The brake fluid just adsorbed to much moisture and damaged the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bam likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page