Any of the guys running Big City Thunder Baffles in a set of V&H Big Shots? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any of the guys running Big City Thunder Baffles in a set of V&H Big Shots?

...or even your own "home built" versions of them?

I decided I was sick and tired of the sound of the stock baffles that came in my Vance & Hines pipes, and it seemed the Big City Thunder baffles were all everyone talked about during my search. I've seen many responses from those who bought them saying they couldn't believe they just dropped $90+ on a set, when they could have made them for under $10.

Well, being both equal parts ingenuitive and cheap, I decided to take a stab at building my own, based on modified version of the stock V&H baffles.

Basically, I cut approximately 6-7" out of the centre of the baffles and welded them back together. This left about three rows of the louvred section remaining in the baffled. I then fitted the front end of the baffle (the end nearest the engine) with a small lollipop I made from a washer and bolt end. Don't recall the size I used off hand, but it visually looked identical in size to the one found on the Monster Baffles in the pics I googled.

Now, here's where the confusion sets in. I'm getting mixed opinions on how these should be installed. Some state that they bolt them directly in place of the stock baffle. Some have said they should be at least 6" into the exhaust, from the end of the pipe. Some say they should go in lolly pop to the front (closest to the engine), some say it should be at the back (closest to the exhaust top). Some have even said to install them as far up into the pipe as you were able and that they farther they went in, the deeper the tone got?

Well, I decided to take the last bit of advice and install them lolly pop to the front, as far into the pipe as I could stuff them. The lolly end itself is now about an inch from the bend in the lower pipe and the upper pipe is installed approximately the same distance. Both are now probably about 14" or so into the exhaust. The moment of truth arrived. I fired up the engine, expecting a completely different bike and.....to be honest....not hearing a whole lot of change in the exhaust note. At least not sitting in the garage, revving and letting it idle, anyway.

So...finally, my question is. Is there an "optimum" placement and configuration for this set up? I was getting tired tonight, so I decided to pack it in. I'll probably have at it again on Wednesday and experiment with the placement of the baffle. Luckily, I didn't drill any new holes in the exhaust pipes and it simply requires me to start pulling the baffle out, to tune it. I'm half wondering it leaving some of the louvres in place, instead of simply chopping the middle section out altogether and installing a reducer in its place may be partially responsible for the lacklustre results, but I really cant be certain.

What are your thoughts?

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!"

-Mike Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage
Pictures??

My HK pipes were loud not a good sound.
Welded in spiral twist straight through noise reducers made a clanging sound.
I made a dozen different mods, my last has been in for a few years.
I added a modified lollipop near the end of the exh pipe.
A short extension with a socket and I can change washers easily.

Several baffles. Dejan welded his on at the end.
Prockey used a sink strainer and the lollipop, the crosses fit into a gap between the pipe end piece.
Cobra has two inside blocking plates. Remove one or both.

Someone used two exhaust pipe reducers, welded small ends together. Attach lollipop or suitable obstruction or nothing.
Anything you do will affect it.

A thread from 2007! https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1...affle-not.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra exhaust baffle1.jpg (111.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Prockey_HK3 baffles.jpg (339.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg VTX Baffle Dejan Gavrilovic.jpg (94.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Baffle Last one I made HF.jpg (265.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HK vtx EXH noise reduction 0758.jpg (161.3 KB, 5 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-13-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added exhaust baffle pix and a link
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

I measured from the end of the tips of Vance&Hines to the start of the Thunder monsters and it was around %.5 inches or there abouts. I just screwed them into the V&H baffle holes and they worked just great for over 5 years.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Took it out for a good run this weekend and still not ultra impressed with the sound. Gonna try moving it around in the exhaust a bit, closer to the end of the tailpipe. May even try something similar to Hans&Feet's set up and add a little more restriction to the mix?

Curse Honda and their dual pin crank set up. I know it was necessary to keep from turning the big V-Twin into a paint shaker, but damn did it ruin the cadence of the engine!

I honestly don't mind the sound of my bike toooooo badly, until I ride with guys running traditional V-Twins. One of my buddies told me it sounded like he was following an old John Deere two cylinder tractor, the other day.

-Mike Tyson

Last edited by Gearbanger 1800; 08-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger 1800 View Post
Took it out for a good run this weekend and still not ultra impressed with the sound. Gonna try moving it around in the exhaust a bit, closer to the end of the tailpipe. May even try something similar to Hans&Feet's set up and add a little more restriction to the mix?

Curse Honda and their dual pin crank set up. I know it was necessary to keep from turning the big V-Twin into a paint shaker, but damn did it ruin the cadence of the engine!

I honestly don't mind the sound of mike bike toooooo badly, until I ride with guys running traditional V-Twins. One of my buddies told me it sounded like he was following an old John Deere two cylinder tractor, the other day.
I have been saying something like that for years!

Someone says it sounds like a "NASCAR" race car.

There was a tractor muffler that replaced the guts of the Honda muffler in one thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1300, sounds good to me! I saved some things others had done...

Merry Prankster 09-01-2016 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike (Post 4060482)
The 1800 will never sound like the 1300 don't bother trying. The engines are two very different designs. The 1300 is a single pin crank engine like a Harley. The 1800 is not. The 1800 will only ever sound like a NASCAR engine. Smooth and powerful, no loping po-ta-to po-ta-to cadences to it at all. No pipes will make a difference in that
Hum, mine sounds like an old tractor when under load, and putting along. My wife who grew up on a farms seems to think so also. I have Rhinehardts also, and they have 25k on them, and I doubt there is any packing left on them Probably time to repack them. Just saying, when running hard, nice, but when two up, and putting has that FARM SOUND!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

It won't change the sound, don't waste your time

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
It won't change the sound, don't waste your time
What won’t change what sound?

-Mike Tyson
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger 1800 View Post
Gonna try moving it around in the exhaust a bit, closer to the end of the tailpipe. May even try something similar to Hans&Feet's set up and add a little more restriction to the mix?

:
This, is what I meant by "Don't waste your time...." Moving them around or building a variation of the Thunder baffles will not make a difference in the sound. Plus, any exhaust will not change the engine so an 1800 will never come close to sounding like a 1300 or Harley. It just won't happen

AMA Life Member 721314
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
You can change the character of the exhaust sound.
My HK had a clanging sound that was annoying plus it was a little too loud.
At least a dozen variations of different baffles and I have the right combination now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page